Student Assessment is the process of analysing a student’s everyday performance. It is a daily activity that teachers are involved in to ensure better teacher-student relation and interaction. The scientific method of educating a child is picking up pace in many of the high stand corporate educational institutions. This method of evaluating a student’s ability to grasp and understand a subject lays a better foundation for an enriching educational experience.
The student assessment is potential tool in the hands of the educational institution and the teacher for enhancing their skills and also to improve the pedagogical approach in teaching. Alongside this assessment, self assessment is taught to the student. This activity helps the student to be a self sufficient and lifelong learner.
Why is Student Assessment Important?
The student assessment activity is a critical and an integral part of learning. The instructors and the administrative section of the educational institution should be aware of the capabilities of the students. Some of the reasons why student assessment is extremely crucial are:
- Works as feedback: The assessment of every individual student and his learning can act as a great feedback for the instructor. It also works as an appraisal of sorts for the institution and also the teaching plans that are being rolled out for the students.
- Customises teaching techniques: This process can help the institution to come up with customised method of teaching. If a particular student is lagging behind or way ahead of the class the institution can come up with exclusive teaching technique based on the learning capabilities.
- Confidence Booster: The regular assessment of the student’s progress and improvement in learning can be a great confidence booster for them and enhances their overall personality.
- Source of reflection for the institution: The student’s assessment that is done after every academic year is a great source for reflection for the educational institution. The academic performance of the child and the overall efficiency of the institution can be assessed. The assessment throws ample light on the panning and competence of the organisation.
- Drives learning: The systematic assessmentof performance of the students’ academics instigates an urge among them to perform better every time an assessment is conducted. This in a way drives a sense of learning and also encourages them to be a lifelong learner.
What are the different forms of Student Assessment?
The assessment activity of a student can be conducted in various ways. This scientific analysis of the performance of the student can be done on everyday basis and also on long term basis. The current corporate educational organisations are following two forms of assessment namely
- Summative assessment
- Formative assessment.
This form of assessment is implemented at the end of every academic year. It is a summation of the child’s year long performance. It gives a clear picture of the improvement of the student as well was the efficiency of the instructor. This is a comprehensive approach that fundamentally concentrates on outcomes in terms of mars obtained from final exams. This is the basis for a teacher to modify his or her style of teaching.
This method of assessment is done on everyday basis. This leads the way to the overall performance of the child. This method primarily analyses the everyday learning and response to the instructions of the teacher. This allows room for small changes in the practices of the teacher and also the learning methodology of the student. This is a piecemeal approach for assessment. This method is the very foundation of the Summative assessment at the end of the academic year.
What is Self Assessment and its importance?
Apart from the assessment of the institution self assessment of the students is also encouraged in the educational organisations. In this process of self assessment the method of the earning and the outcome of it are also assessed by the students. The students are encouraged to analyse and provide the institution with their view on the pedagogical methods followed.
This gives them better understanding of themselves and also their academic capabilities. It enables them to develop better skills like critical thinking and problem solving. It also enhances their learning speed and their overall academic performance. It instils a sense of ownership and responsibility to perform better in their academics.
Self-assessment is to know yourself and your capabilities, at Opennaukri, we soon will offer you to assess your skills using an AI-powered platform followed by the education counselling if required. With an aim to redefine the meaning of assessment and value of choices, interest and passion of students, we are here. Get in touch with your queries.
This activity of analysis and critical assessment of the performance is the need of the hour for any educational institution. It also needs to be kept in mind that all the mentioned assessment procedures are more than just grading. The assessment involves a critical examination of the year long and everyday grading of the individual students. This activity is pertinent because it goes above just marks and grading of the students and overall learning standards of the students are analysed.
Need our help, Get in touch!