This week we have compiled important events taking place from 25 July 2022 to 31 July 2022 which is divided under three sections which are as follows:
- Current Affairs July 2022 Questions and Answers
In this section, you will have important events taking place during the week. Be it economy, sports or newly launched schemes, this section will help you stay updated with important current affairs of July (25th-31st) 2022.
- Important dates from 25th July to 31st July
Coming to the next section, it has important dates between 25 July 2022 to 31 July 2022, presented serially to aid in memorization.
- Weekly Current Affairs Quiz: 25th July 2022 to 31 July 2022
Finally, the third and the final section contains Weekly current affairs quiz with descriptive answers to take you a step further with your GK quotient.
Current Affairs July 2022 Questions and Answers
Droupadi Murmu elected the new President of India
- Droupadi Murmu was sworn in as the 15th President of India on 25 July 2022. Her oath was administered by Chief Justice N.V. Ramana in the Central Hall of Parliament, New Delhi.
- She belongs to a Santhal family who worked as a teacher before joining politics in 1997. She is the first tribal president of India. She is also the second woman after Pratibha Patil to have secured the position.
- Droupadi Murmu was the Governor of Uttarakhand before being nominated as an NDA candidate contesting for the Presidential elections. She won by 64.03% votes against her nominated opposition UPA candidate, Yashwant Sinha.
Indian Rupee rises 9 paise to Rs 79.81 against US dollar in early trade
- The value of Indian rupee moved higher to 9 paise to Rs 79.81 against the US dollar in early trade owing to a dip in crude oil prices. At the interbank foreign exchange, the rupee opened at 79.86 against the US currency.
- The local currency underwent a high of Rs 79.81 and low of Rs 79.87 against the dollar in an initial trade. In a previous session, the rupee had closed at 79.90 against the American dollar.
- When the rupee exceeds the psychological 80 mark, the most affected sector is the oil and gas industries. The increase in oil prices will further spike the value of other products like automobiles, electronic items and costlier airplane tickets.
Sanjay Kumar Jain appointed as NLMC interim head by the Centre
- Sanjay Kumar Jain is the newly appointed National Land Management Corporation (NLMC) interim head by the Centre. The government has also appointed its nominees to the board of NLMC.
- The Centre is looking forward to initiate the monetization of 3,479 acres of surplus land that is identified by 9 Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) and building assets.
- The land and assets of the PSUs that were meant to be closed down will be owned, held and managed by the NLMC. Additionally, the surplus non-core land assets of the PSUs will be managed and monetized by the same.
- As per final plans, the board of NLMC will be presided by 13 Directors, 7 of whom will be government officials and 6 other members will be from the private sector.
Sanjay Kumar Jain appointed as NLMC interim head by the Centre
- BF Infrastructure, subsidiary of Bharat Forge Ltd., has inked a contract with Talgo India Pvt Ltd. for manufacturing high-speed trains in India. Talgo is a Spanish manufacturer of standard and high-speed trains, with its presiding manufacturer as Patentes Talgo S.L.
- Talgo’s trains occupy a major share of the world’s second largest network (Spain’s AVE) in the world. Bharat Forge and Talgo’s aim is to incorporate high-speed rail technology and solve issues of Indian Railways.
Dinesh Shahra Lifetime Award instituted for excellency in music
- Dinesh Shahra Foundation (DSF) has instituted a “Dinesh Shahra Lifetime Award” to honour Indian musicians for Excellence in Music. It is a first-of-its-kind excellency award given to promote soulful Indian music among the masses.
- The announcement of such an honour was made by Mr. Dinesh Shahra (Trustee of DSF) in a cultural event titled “Mausiqui”. The initiative of presenting this award to music stalwarts is supported by the Indian Arts & Culture Society.
- The Dinesh Shahra Foundation seeks to support senior artists musicians who struggle in their lives once they are past their prime. Apart from providing the trophy or memento, a significant cash reward with be offered to the awardee.
India’s flagbearers for Commonwealth Games (CWG) 2022- PV Sindhu, Manpreet Singh
- The Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games Organizing Committee had mentioned that there must be one female and one male flagbearer from a nation. As a consequence, the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) has selected ace shuttler PV Sindhu and hockey player Manpreet Singh as flagbearers of India.
- Earlier, PV Sindhu had won her maiden Singapore Open trophy in the women’s singles tournament. She has also been a two-time Olympic medallist. Manpreet on the other hand had led India to a final match winning a bronze at 2021 Tokyo Olympics.
- The IOA committee comprises of four members namely IOA acting president Anil Khanna, Team India Chef de Mission Rajesh Bhandari, treasurer Anandeshwar Pandey and secretary general Rajeev Mehta.
Notable Assamese author Atulananda Goswami passed away
- Notable Assamese author Atulananda Goswami passed away on 27 July 2022 at age 87. He received the prestigious Sahitya Akademi Award because of his short story collection named “Seneh Jarir Ganthi (2006)”. He was also widely known for his well-known works of “Namghoria”, “Hamdoi Pulor Jon”,” Ashray” “Rajpaat”, “Polatok”etc.
- Other honours received by him are the Kumar Kishor Memorial Award, the Ambikagiri Roy Choudhury Sahitya Award, the Sneha Bharati Sahitya Samman, the Katha Award for “Boliya Hathi” etc. Atulananda Goswami also translated many English, Bengali and Odia books into his mother tongue Assamese.
- Indian PM Narendra Modi and Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma expressed their condolences to the family and prayed for his soul’s everlasting peace.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launches India’s first international gold exchange
- PM Narendra Modi launched India’s first international bullion or gold exchange in Gujarat – India International Bullion Exchange (IIBX). It was launched at the International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) at Gujarat International Finance Tec-City in Gandhinagar.
- This initiative will help India make its mark in the gold bullion market and provide the global value chain with integrity and quality. Through this exchange mechanism, qualified jewellers can have direct access to import gold directly.
- These institutions will serve to India’s present and future role in the global economy.
Formula One sportsman, Sebastian Vettel announces his retirement
- Formula One racer Sebastian Vettel has announced his retirement after a 15-year sports career since 2007. He is currently a part of Ashton Martin. He has yielded 4 world championships in his lifetime and announced his retirement at the end of the 2022 season.
- Sebastian Vettel currently ranks third on the list of all-time Grand Prix winners with 53 wins. He took part in four championships with Red Bull between 2010 and 2013 and won all of them. Lewis Hamilton and Michael Schumacher exceeds in the number of titles Vettel possesses.
PM Narendra Modi launches Revamped Distribution Sector Scheme
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched Revamped Distribution Sector Scheme in the grand finale of “Ujjwal Bharat Ujjwal Bhavishya- Power@2047 which he attended via videoconferencing.
- He also laid the foundation stone of several green energy projects of the National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC). The PM emphasises how the power sector has been improved by eliminating energy sector flaws and proposes to bolster DISCOMS with financial support of more than Rs 3 lakh crore for a term of 5 years till financial year 2025-2026.
Important dates from 25th July to 31st July
25 July- World Embryologist Day
Louise Joy Brown became the first baby to be born through in vitro fertilization (IVF) on 25 July 1978 and so this day is celebrated as World Embryologist Day.
26 July- Kargil Vijay Diwas
Kargil Vijay Diwas celebrates the success of operation Vijay which aimed to oust Pakistani infiltrators from India. The day is commemorated every 26 July to honour the heroes who fought valiantly in the Kargil War of 1999.
28 July- National Refreshment Day
National Refreshment Day is celebrated every 28 July for countries in the Northern Hemisphere to enjoy chilled drinks like iced tea, smoothies, mocktails etc as the temperature soars up. It is an occasion to take a break from one’s busy schedule and enjoy life.
28 July- World Nature Conservation Day
World Nature Conservation Day is observed on 28 July every year that emphasizes the significance of a sustainable environment. The day helps in creating awareness regarding the conservation of natural resources.
28 July- World Hepatitis Day
World Hepatitis Day is observed on 28 July to recognise the contribution of Nobel-prize winning scientist Dr Baruch Blumberg in the discovery of hepatitis B virus and a vaccine as a preventive measure. This day is also an opportunity to enforce collective efforts on hepatitis and encourage awareness amongst individuals regarding the disease and its consequences.
29 July- International Tiger Day
29 July is International Tiger Day which is observed to raise awareness about tigers and their conservation and the protection of their natural habitat and preventing its loss.
29 July- System Administrator Appreciation Day
System Administrator Appreciation Day is observed every year on the last Friday of the month of July. This day recognises and celebrates the contribution and effort of the administrator’s, tech therapists, device doctors who engage their long hours to solve technical issues.
30 July- International Friendship Day
International Friendship Day is celebrated on 30 July 2022 to recognise the role that friends play and the positive impact they bring in our lives. It celebrates the true meaning of friendships and the peace they invite across boundaries.
Weekly Current Affairs Quiz: 25th July 2022 to 31 July 2022
Which film was presented with the Best Feature Film Award at the 68th National Film Awards?
Answer: Soorarai Pottru
Soorarai Pottru was adjudged the Best Feature Film by the 68th National Film Awards. The film’s hero Suriya bagged the Best Actor Award while Aparna Balamurali won the Best Actress Award for the film. Another personality from Hindi film to win the Best Actor Award is Ajay Devgan for his film Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior. Soorarai Pottru had also won the Best Screenplay Award for Shalini Usha Nair and director Sudha Kongara’s. The Tamil film has also been hailed for its music direction for which G.V. Prakash Kumar received the award of “Best Music Direction”.
Which country will host ICC Women’s ODI World Cup 2025?
India will be hosting ICC Women’s ODI World Cup 2025 while Bangladesh will be hosting the 2024 Women’s T20 World Cup. England and Wales will host the Women’s T20 World Cup in 2026. Sri Lanka will host the ICC Women’s T20 Champions Trophy in 2027. The hosts were selected through a bidding procedure overseen by a Board sub-committee comprising of members Martin Sneddan, Sourav Ganguly and Clair Connor.
Which country has decided to quit the International Space Station after 2024?
Russia will quit the International Space Station after 2024 as confirmed by Russia’s newly appointed Roscosmos (state corporation of the Russian federation) head Yury Borisov. The decision resulted owing to a spike in conflict between Russia and the West. The West has condemned Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the country has also received several unheard-of sanctions thrust upon it by the West. Yury Borisov mentioned that the Russian space agency will fulfill all obligations as a member country but will quit from the space station after 2024. He also intends putting together a orbital space station in Russia.
What is the name of the book that has been launched by Faisal Farooqui on Dilip Kumar?
Answer: In the Shadow of a Legend: Dilip Kumar
A new book has been launched by author Faisal Farooqui on the legendary actor of Indian cinema, Yusuf Khan aka Dilip Kumar. The book is titled “In the Shadow of a Legend: Dilip Kumar”. The book pays tribute to Dilip Kumar as a person more than Dilip Kumar as a legendary actor. His versatility as an actor playing diverse roles is also celebrated in the book. Faisal Farooqui is the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Mouthshut.com which is one of the best review and rating platforms in India.
Who is the newly appointed chief economist of World Bank?
Answer: Indermit Gill
The newly appointed chief economist of World Bank is Indermit Gill. He has also been appointed as the senior vice-president for Development Economics. He is the second Indian after Kaushik Basu to become the chief economist of the world financial institution. Kaushik Basu was the first Indian to have served in the multilateral development bank as the Chief Economist from 2012-2016. Indermit Gill will assume office from September 1 2022. He is preceded by Cuban-American economist Carmen M. Reinhardt.
Which award was recently presented to the Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy by UK PM Boris Johnson?
Answer: Sir Winston Churchill Leadership Award
Sir Winston Churchill Leadership Award was recently presented to the Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy by UK PM Boris Johnson. Zelenskyy accepted the award via video link during a ceremonial occasion at Johnson’s London Office. The event was attended by members of the Churchill family, Ukrainian ambassador Vadym Prustaiko and Ukrainian trained by the British soldiers. Volodymyr was presented the award because of his indomitable spirit in times of crisis, a trait similar to former UK PM Winston Churchill who faced the 1940 challenge of his nation. Some other recipients of this award were Prince Charles, Margaret Thatcher, John Major, Madelaine Albright (former US Secretary of State) etc.
Which Indian sportsman recently won silver at the World Athletics Championships?
Answer: Neeraj Chopra
Neeraj Chopra became the first Indian sportsman to recently win silver at the World Athletics Championships. His throw of 88
13 metres in the fourth round made history and secured him the medal at the global Championships. Anderson Peters, the defending champion of Grenada won the gold with a 90.54 throw while Jakub Vadlejch, the Czech Republic’s Olympic Silver Medallist secured the bronze with a throw of 88.09 metres.
What is the name of the vaccine that is being administered against Monkeypox?
The vaccine to be adadministered against Monkeypox is Imvanex that has received due permission from the European Commission to be marketed as a protective measure. It was earlier recommended by the European Medicines Agency (EMA). The vaccine is developed by Bavarian Nordic, a Danish biotechnology company. More than 20,000 cases of Monkeypox have been reported across 78 countries globally. The fatality ratio of this disease is extremely low as per experts.
Which company in India has signed a 5-year contract with Nokia of Finland?
Answer: Wipro Ltd.
Wipro Ltd., a company headquartered in Bengaluru has signed a 5-year contract with Nokia of Finland for the purpose of digital transformation. The contract aims to expand on a connection that was formed more than 20 years back. Wipro will provide services supporting Nokia’s updated operating model, with emphasis on process optimization, improved user experience across order management, finance, supply chain and accounting operations. Wipro’s founder is H.Hasham Premji and its current serving CEO is Thierry Delaporte while Nokia’s founders are Friedrik Idestam, Leo Mechelin and Eduard Polón.
Which bank will be included in the top 10 most valuable banks at a global level?
HDFC (Housing Development Finance Corporation) Bank will be among the top 10 most valuable banks at a global level after its merging with the parent, mortgage lender HDFC at its current valuations. The merging was approved by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI). The total market cap of HDFC Bank and HDFC will stand at approximately USD 160 million.
Hopefully, the three sections on Weekly current affairs from 25 July 2022 to 31 July 2022 has helped you gain relevant information about new events happening all over the world. The headlines in the first section of the article must have given you a quick idea about the events that you were going to read and is even useful when you have little time to spare.