If you are looking for a high-paying job with stability, Agriculture courses after 12th is a good choice. The course opens ways for a secure and stable career. In recent years the course has become popular among science students—many universities offer U.G. and P.G. courses in agriculture.
Agriculture is the backbone of the Indian economy. Thinking about a prosperous India is not possible without the participation of agriculture.
If you are confused about a career after 12th, then agriculture course is definitely a right choice for you. Students interested in making their career in the agriculture field can get admission in U.G. courses. However, the option of diploma or certificate course in the stream is also available.
India is an agriculture country, so the agriculture courses in India are career orientated. Therefore, students from the PCB group in 12th can get admission in agriculture courses after 12th. Its an ideal course choice after 12th that offers various career option in the public and private sector. Scroll down the page to get more information about agriculture courses in India, scope in this, and top colleges that offer the U.G., P.G., Diploma, and certification course on agriculture after 12th.
Agriculture Courses after 12th
Many students could not decide on the right career path with endless opportunities. Different courses have different challenges and opportunities. Picking one out of many is not an easy task. Agriculture is the field that offers a promising career to students. Here we will discuss the different agriculture courses in India that the students can choose for further studies. There are numerous agriculture courses to pursue. Students can choose the degree courses or short-term courses like diplomas and certificates. Let’s start with U.G. courses in Agriculture. Have a look at the list of the different U.G. courses in agriculture and then move to know more about a few of them;
- B.Sc in Agriculture
- B.Sc in Agriculture (Hon.)
- B.Sc in Food Science
- B.Sc in Horticulture
- B.Sc in Plant Pathology
- B.Sc in Plant Science
- B.Sc in Forestry
- B.Sc in Fisheries Science
- B.Sc in Agriculture Biotechnology
- B. Tech in Agriculture and Dairy Technology
- B.Tech in Agriculture
- B.Tech in Agriculture Technology
- B.Tech in Agriculture and Food Technology
- B.Tech in Dairy Technology
- B.Tech in Agriculture Engineering
- B.A. in Agriculture
Also Read: Career Options in Food Technology
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE [B. S.C.] (AGRICULTURE)
Its a four years U.G. program offered by most agriculture universities. The program is all about research and practical knowledge in agriculture science. Its a professional degree that aims to provide training to implement modern technology in agriculture practices. The curriculum has theoretical classes, practical approaches, and field visits. So that students can understand the subject better. The course is curriculum is divided into eight semesters. In the 5th and 6th semesters, the students can pursue elective subjects. The college and universities provide different subjects to the students to select in the 5th and 6th semesters. A few universities also offer B. Sc Agriculture (Hon).
The students can also opt for this option after the 12th. Its a four years course. In B.Tech Agriculture, the students get to know about the new techniques and technology in farming. The course has detailed information about fundamental concepts of farming. The students get to know about the different ways to secure the fertility of the land and increase its productivity. The exams in B.tech is conducted semester-wise.
BACHELOR IN ARTS [B.A.] (AGRICULTURE)
Another course in agriculture is B.A. The students can get admission to the course after completion of their 10+2. Most of the universities offer the course, and a few of them also have the option of a B.A. in Agriculture through distance education. The course aims to teach the scientific ways of farming to the students. They get to know about different types of compost and new seeds and technologies that can be used in agriculture.
DIPLOMA COURSES IN AGRICULTURE
Students can also get admission in the polytechnic diploma courses in Agriculture. The diploma courses can be segregated into two parts; Diploma course after 10th and P.G. Diploma courses in Agriculture. The duration of diploma courses is 2-3 years. The diploma courses in agriculture can be in various branches. We have listed out a few of them here;
- Diploma in Agriculture
- Diploma in Seed Technology
- Diploma in Food Processing
- Diploma in Organic Farming
- Diploma in Agro Products Processing
- Diploma in Animal Husbandry
- Diploma in Post Harvest Technology
Certificate Courses in Agriculture
Following are the certification courses in agriculture. the duration of the certification courses is 12 months to 18 months.
- Certification course in dairy and agriculture
- Certification course in food production
- Certification course in organic farming
- Certification course in Horticulture
Eligibility Criteria To Get Admission in Agriculture Courses After 12th
If you want to get admission in an agriculture course after the 12th, you have options like B. Tech in Agriculture, B. Sc in Agriculture, and B.A. in Agriculture. The applicant must be 12th pass out with PCB stream to get admission in the first two courses. A few universities offer admission in B.A. Agriculture to the students from the Humanities stream. The Students must have scored 50% aggregate marks in 12th to get admission in U.G. courses of agriculture.
How to get Admission in Agriculture Courses
Universities use different ways to offer admission to the students in U.G. agriculture courses. Colleges offer admission based on the merit list for B.Sc in agriculture and other branches of the subject.
Many universities consider the rank of the students in state or national entrance exams. A few agriculture universities conduct the entrance exam to select the most brilliant admission seekers out of all. SAAT, BHU-UET, OUAT, KCET are a few entrance exams that students have to clear to get admission in B.Sc agriculture courses.
To get admission in the B.Tech programme in agriculture, the students will have to take the exams like JEE or other Engineering Entrance Exams. Based on their rank in the exams, the students get admission in B.Tech courses related to the agriculture stream. Here is the detail of both types of admission procedures;
To get admission through the merit basis, the students will have to visit the college or university website and fill the application form. He will have to upload his documents like I.D. proof, photo and, mark sheet. The university will evaluate all the application forms and prepare a merit list.
To get admission through the entrance test, the students will have to visit the website of the exam conducting authority. Fill the application form and submit it along with other documents. The university will issue the admit card and conduct the exam. Again the universality officials will make a merit list based on applicants’ marks and rank in the entrance exam.
Here have a look at the top universities that offer admission in different agriculture courses;
1. Punjab Agriculture University: The university was inaugurated by Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru in 1962. Its one of the best universities that offer agriculture courses. The students can get admission to the university based on an entrance test PAU CET.
2. Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya: Another university where students can get admission in agriculture courses after 12th. The university offer admission to U.G. agriculture course based on the merit of CG PAT.
3. Guru Kashi University: Its a private college in Bhatinda, Punjab. The students can apply through online and offline modes to get admission in this one. It provides admission based on students’ marks in the previous class.
4. Jawaharlal Nehru Krishi Vishwa Vidhyalaya: The college is in Jabalpur Madhya Pradesh. It was established in 1964, and its a reputed one to offer education in agriculture. To offer admission in the U.G. course, the university organizes an entrance examination.
5. Vellore Institute of Technology: Its a reputed engineering institute. It offers admission based on the student’s score in VITEE, an entrance exam conducted by the institute.
The Bottom Line
Agriculture is an emerging sector that has new and challenging roles for young minds. Students of agriculture can make changes in the Indian agriculture sector and make it a profitable business. If you are interested in agriculture courses after the 12th, then this article must have helped you. In case of any further queries, you can write to us in the comment section below.