The National Consumer Rights Day is celebrated every year on December 24 in India. However, the World Consumer Rights Day is celebrated every year on March 15. The National Consumer Day is observed to protect the consumers’ interests.
National Consumer Rights Day 2020 Theme
This year, the National Consumer Rights Day is celebrated under the theme “The Sustainable Consumer”
Why National Consumer Rights Day celebrated on December 24?
The National Consumer Rights Day is observed on December 24 every year because the Consumer Protection Act was enacted in 1986 on this day.
About Central Consumer Protection Authority
- Under the Consumer Protection Act, 2019 the Central Consumer Protection Authority was established.
- The authority is responsible for investigating matters related to consumer rights violations.
- It ensures if the goods and services offered to consumers are in compliance with the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India.
- The authority has the power to withdraw any service that they found unsafe, hazardous and dangerous to the consumer.
What is Consumer Protection Act?
The Consumer Protection Act recognizes 6 rights of the consumers including Right to Information, Right of Choice, Right to be Heard,
Right to seek Redressal, Right to Consumer Education, and Right to Protection.
- The Right to Choose is the right that ensures the consumer has the right to access varieties of goods and services.
- The right to Protection is the right that enables consumers to be protected against marketing of goods and services that are hazardous to human life and property.
- The Right to Information is the right that allows consumers to be informed about quality, quantity, purity, potency, price and the standard of goods and services.
- The Right to be Heard gives consumers the right to be heard and assured that the interests of consumer should receive due consideration when needed.
- The Right to seek Redressal enables consumers to seek redressal against consumer exploitation and unfair trade practices. Under the act, quick and easy redressal to consumers will be set up at district, state and central level.
- Right to Consumer Education is the consumers right to know about the goods and services and the practices. This helps them be a informed consumer.
We all are consumers and all these rights are important for us to know. So we have compiled all the important information that you need to know on this National Consumer Rights Day.