Everyone in the world likes to live a stable, well-settled life. However, we all have to go through ups and downs in our life careers and personal lives. Without struggle, success never comes. Despite several career opportunities, be it technical or performing arts, as per studies, there are a total of approx. 470 million unemployed people in the world. It is not because they are not trying their luck but because their time has not come.
Mind you, no one in the world remains empty-handed for the whole of life. The dues will be there when the time will come. But for that, the struggle needs to continue. Till recently traditional jobs were opted to feed the family. Jobs in Banks, industries, or other places were given preference. All one needed to do was to get as much as an education, find a job, and feed the family. There was no thought of earning from some art.
Read on to know:
- Art in Old Times
- Transformation of Performing Arts Culture
- Performing Arts Career Pathway – Qualities
- What Does Performing Arts consist?
- Areas of Scope for Performing Arts Career
- Performing Arts Career Challenges
- How COVID-19 Impacted Performing Arts Careers?
Art in Old Times
In the ancient period, we heard that emperors were ruling their respective empires. These kings used to keep many people at their services. Soldiers, singers, dancers, and similar people used to get paid by the king. Other people used to earn their food by doing small trading. They were independent and used to earn as much they would work. Those who were paid by the king for performing their art like dance or singing were just like the adoption of Performing Arts as a career. As long as the king was happy, they would get paid, and if the king wished they would be removed. So they would go and try their Performing Arts career in another kingdom.
Transformation of Performing Arts Culture
During the fight for independence, there were a lot of artists helping out freedom fighters with their poems, songs, and dramas. These artists were also called rebels by the British Government in India. Various artists played a very crucial role in aiding the freedom fighters. Performing Arts changed its outlook after India became independent.
Along with the transformation of independent India, there were many changes taking place in Performing Arts culture. It got recognition as an earning option, though through part-time work. Thus Performing Arts career pathway started to take shape. Many artists who used to earn through traditional job came into this field as a part timer. Those who tasted a good amount of success and earning opted for Performing Arts as a career.
It is a vast field and those who are good at some or other skills like acting, dance, singing, etc can think about a career in it. Though the field is full of competition, several performers can get along as the demand is also higher. Say, for example, events happen in all the corners of country so there is scope for performers to showcase their talent. Those who are dedicated and hardworking can survive for a longer period.
Performing Arts Career Pathway – Qualities
Performing arts career pathway has to be self-made and goes through the following qualities
- How you present your talent and build your network
- Stamina, resilience, and self-discipline
- Capability to self-analysis and ability to connect with own mind
- Proper management of time and organize work
- Grow as a team and not individual
- Be flexible and not prototype
Traditionally the Performing Arts Consists of
- Music – It focuses on three career options – music performance, music education, and musicology. Music helps non-musicians to improve their skills in listening and concentration.
- Drama – This type of performing arts includes ‘acting’ in front of the audience. There are two types in this, one is lyrical and the other is normal. In lyrical drama, the actors know the singing along with the acting. In other types, there will be the only narrative written in the form of dialogues. The actors recite the play in a series of rehearsals before it is finally put on stage.
- Dance – Classical and western are the two widely known types. Classical dance can be majorly seen in Asian countries as their tradition. It is a non-verbal communication with the audience through the music and dance moves.
Thus the performing arts career pathway goes through the rigorous hard work, dedication, and a lot of stamina is required to perform.
Areas of Scope for Performing Arts Career
There are a lot of jobs available for the aspirants. We can evaluate the scope as per the description
- Actor – Good vocabulary skills, attractive personality, and involvement in work are the requirements.
- Dancer – Using movements, gestures, and body language to express the narrative to connect with the audience. Different genres are available as modern, western, classical, ballet, African, or Asian dance.
- Choreographer – To represent the concept through the dancers. Needs proper planning, creative ideas, visualization of the narration or message, and organize the program to completion. Might need to mentor several dancers at a time.
- Music Director – Decision on singer, studio, and musical instruments during recording. Post recording listening and final approval of the recording. Planning of event schedules, timings, and performances. Compose the new songs with a lyricist. Must possess very good knowledge of singing art. Generally a good singer himself.
- Theatre Director – Practically he possess creativeness in presenting the available script or music number. Director is the one who is almost an all-rounder. Guide the actors to express the narrative in a way people would like. Always have a vision about the trend among the audience. He is a competent person who can manage many activities at a time. He has to balance between the budget of the producer and the capabilities of his team. Needs to ensure the schedule is not taking too long. Manages the skills of people at different levels.
- Special Effects Technician – Generally known as SFX Technician is a man behind all the special effects shown in TV, films, and some live events. Special effects involve the making of realistic weather, mechanical tricks using electrical or electronic instruments, pneumatics, and hydraulics mechanism. This is usually added during the making of the presentation. Another part is Visual special effects (VFX) which are added after completion of the presentation. These are digital effects like making a miniature of a model, animation, CGI, digital image, and digital composting.
- Talent Manager – They are hired for identifying talent through various events carried out in the country. They are experts in getting the raw talent from ground level and connecting them to the parties who need such talents.
- Event Manager – Contacting several people to get the desired level of publicity for the event. Manage the performers’ dates and arrange logistics and stay of the relevant team. Link between the organizers and performers. Possessing a pleasant personality and excellent communication and management skills. Usually, a very alert person who doesn’t get bogged down by any trouble.
Performing Arts Career Challenges
Performing arts as a career may put up many challenges in front of you. Only your talent won’t help alone. You need to mend yourself according to the system and try to be a team person. The peripheral things may become a big hurdle if the circle is not managed properly. The choice of the people with whom you work may not be in your hand hence it is essential to gel with the environment without losing focus on the main aim.
Any person’s performing arts career will succeed if the support of the co-performers, staff is there, there are many who have excelled in the career. All is finally teamwork. If as a team, an event is successful then credit goes to all members. Of course, money-wise, the contribution will differ but the satisfaction is surely there. The satisfaction of our art getting appreciated is rated much higher than the money received from it. This is the only field where a huge fan following gives one an immense pleasure than that of money.
The artists are very emotionally attached to what they perform whether it is singing, dance, or any other art. They do not do it just like any other stereotype work. There is a lot of hard work, dedication, and involvement in the making. Hence when it is applauded by the audience the happiness is unbounded.
How COVID-19 Impacted Performing Arts Careers?
Performing arts is so vast a field that there are unlimited options for the aspirants. Also, there is a huge demand for events but sudden lockdown due to COVID-19 bought the demand to zero. Though there is temporarily a halt on the performances in public, it is not going to be very long for it to restart. In the meanwhile, one can make the foundation strong in the free time, performers have even started online concerts and performances. One can turn this disaster into an opportunity by sharpening the skills so that when the performing restarts, the talent can be displayed.
Many artists have lost their source of income or jobs in this pandemic, but those who are down to earth know that their time will come again. These backward steps can be used for leaping in the coming time. Those who have self-belief and also little backing from their families will rise again to a higher level. Performing Arts is the 1st thing to get affected by the economical hit on society because people think that is liberty and not a necessity, which to some extent is true.
In a vast field like Performing Arts, there is a lot of scope for employment. Even if an event takes place on stage with limited participants, there is a huge team involved behind the curtain. From cleaner to the main artist, many people are working at different levels. This creates ample performing arts jobs. As there are many branches in performing arts so one can opt for the opportunity in his expertise field. Music, Dance, and Drama being the most sought-after options give rise to the chance of a career in theatre.
Some artists have multiple skills set like singing, dance, and acting, so it’s not difficult for them to switch over the field with a good amount of success. Vaijayantimala, who is a great classical dancer as well as a fine actress. Hema Malini is another such name. Even though these two artists stopped acting in films due to the age factor, they continued their passion for classical dance by performing in different events.
We can see many actors who aged, started their own ‘Acting Academy’. So even after you age, you directly or indirectly are guiding people or giving career counseling to them. This is the retirement income that keeps growing. However there are many well known sitar players, classical dancer, classical singer and theatre actors, that are unforgettable and are still shining like the brightest star.