Career in genetics is a challenging and stable career option. The world wants to know more about genes and its functions. We know that Genes are amazing; they carry our forefathers’ good and bad qualities and transfer them to us. The complex structure of genes carries so much from the previous generations and connects us with them.
Genes are the reason that our eyes, nose, and other body parts resemble our parents or grandparents. Genes are also responsible for carrying the genetic disease from one generation to another. It’s interesting to know more about this subject, and it also has the scope of research. If you choose genetics as a career, you will find better opportunities in the country and overseas.
Before planning to have a career in genetics, you must know that it’s a wide field. You will have plenty of career options, but you will also need to spend more time in study and research. Genetic studies are not only for human genes but for animals and plants also. You can choose your area of specialties before making genetics as a career.
All living things have genes, and their study will help you understand their ancestry and have a career in genetics. There are various genetics courses available in India. You can enroll in them based on your interest. The career in genetics is bright irrespective to the genetic field you choose. Let’s dig a bit more about genetics as career and scope and opportunities in it;
Career In Genetics
Genetic is one of the branches of medical courses with descriptive information of genetic variation in humans, plants, and animals. The subject offers deep knowledge about inherent features and diseases. In genetic science, the element of living things is named ‘trait,’ and the trait is described by DNA information.
The origin of the genetics word is in the ancient Greek Language. In this language word, ‘genetikos’ was used in the place of ‘origin.’ The scientific study of genes begun in mid of 19th century with the efforts of Dr. Gregor Mendel. He was a scientist and also known as the father of genetics. The subject was available before Dr. Mendel in theoretical format. After Dr. Mendel’s work, a new revolution has come in this medical field. Let’s find out the benefits of studying genetics and having a career in it.
Opportunities in Genetic Career
The genetic science experts already know a lot about genes, but it has a lot more secrets that are yet to be revealed. Here look at the opportunities available in genetic;
- After the completion of the genetic courses in India, you can get a job in the pharmaceutical sector. India is already doing great in pharma, and the growth is rapid in this sector. So pharma companies need more geneticists. In multi-specialty hospitals, the professional with a degree in genetics are required.
- The demand for geneticists is high in genetics diagnostic labs.
Responsibilities of Geneticist
After completing the genes studied, the professionals can get jobs in labs to do research and development in this section of medical science. According to the present analyses on genes and DNA, many diseases can be cured by deep study of genes. So the professionals have to work in labs.
Genetic labs have some higher-end technologies and advanced technology. The labs have microscopes, DNA scanners, and many other types of equipment. Here are some general responsibilities a geneticist has to perform at work;
- Follow the protocol of the genes lab in terms of cleanliness and basic procedures. Manage the lab to provide quality research.
- Make a proper plan and complete the paperwork before initiating the genes related complex and simple projects.
- Isolate and analyze all the molecules, fats, proteins, and DNA.
- To research and observe the effects of a disease, hormones, drugs on the DNA and genes.
- Prepare more accurate reports based on the research.
How to be a Geneticist
We have already discussed the opportunities available in this new and complex field of medical science. The career path to be a geneticist starts after the 10th standard. The students with Physics, Chemistry, and Bio in 12th can choose to complete their graduation in genetics. Many universities in India offer B. Sc in Geneticist. Many other specialized courses are also available for the students under the genetics branch. Look at the different departments and courses related to the field;
Specialized Field in Genetics Science
Here are some specialized fields in genetics. You can choose one of them to complete your education;
- Classical Genetics
- Human genetics
- Quantitative Genetics
- Population Genetics
- Medical genetics
- Ecological Genetics
- Molecular Genetics
Courses in Genetics Science
Here have a look at the courses that will make you a professional geneticist;
- B. Sc in Genetics
- B. Sc in Genetics (honors)
- B.Sc Genetics, Biotechnology, Biochemistry
- B.Sc. (Agri.) Genetics and Plant Breeding
- B.Tech. Genetic Engineering
- B. Sc in Genetics, Microbiology, and Chemistry
- M. Sc in Genetics
- M. Sc in Genetics (honors)
- M. Sc in Genetics, Microbiology, and Chemistry
- M.Sc in Stem Cell and Tissue Engineering
- M.Sc in Biomedical Genetics
- M.Tech. Genetic Engineering
- M.Sc in Human Genetics and others
Apart from the mentioned courses, the interested students can also enroll in doctoral courses after completing their masters in the subject.
Doctoral Courses in Genetics
- Ph.D. in Genetics
- Ph.D. in Molecular & Human Genetics
- Ph.D. Genetic Engineering
- Ph.D. in Human Genetics
- Ph.D. (Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering)
Colleges to Study Genetic Science
Many colleges provide UG and PG education on genetics. Here are just a few of them;
- University of Delhi
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences
- ANU – Acharya Nagarjuna University
- Rajendra Agricultural University (Bihar)
- Barkatullah University
- LPU – Lovely Professional University
- The Oxford College of Science
- Ch. Charan Singh Haryana Agricultural University
- BHU – Banaras Hindu University
- CCS Haryana Agricultural University
- Guru Nanak Institute of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology
- M.S. Ramaiah College of Arts, Science, and Commerce
- Bhavan’s Vivekananda College of Science, Humanities, and Commerce (BVCSHC)
The students will have to get admission to the UG courses in genetics. After completing a B. Sc in genetics or any of its related fields, you can either look for a job or proceed to further studies. As genetic science is a field that needs many curious minds for R&D so higher always gives a fruitful result to the students. Following are the companies and organizations that hire qualified geneticist;
- All India Institutes of Medical Sciences
- Lifecell International Private Ltd
- MapMyGenome & other genetic testing companies
- The Institute of Genomic and Integrative Biology, Delhi
- Datar Cancer Genetics Limited
- National Institute of Animal Biotechnology
- ICAR-National Institute of High Security Animal Diseases
- Indian Agricultural Research Institute
- Apollo Hospitals
- Indian Council of Medical Research
- Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research
- DNA labs India
- CSIR-National Chemical Laboratory (NCL), Pune
Career Options in Genetics
Following are the career options that you can have after completion of your studies in the field;
- Scientific Researcher
- Genetic Counsellors
- Genetic Scientist in Agriculture & Food
- Forensic Science Research Associates/ Scientist
- Medical Scientist
- Scientific Writer
The Last Word
Are you curious to know how an individual’s hair can have so much information about him? How we get our rye color from our parents and grandparents? How can we get rid of the diseases transferred from one generation to another? Then it would be best if you thought of making a career in the genetics field. A lot more has to be done in this particular field. Please write to us in case of any question related to a career in genetics.