India celebrates ‘Engineer’s Day’ on 15 September every year. We celebrate this day in the honor of the Bharat Ratna Sir M Visvesvaraya. Today we are celebrating the 157th birth anniversary of Sir M Visvesvaraya as Engineer Day. He is known as one of the greatest engineers of India. His biggest contribution to the society was the construction of Krishna Raja Sagara Dam in Mysore.
Struggle and Success of Bharat Ratna Sir M. Visvesvaraya
Sir M. Visvesvaraya, born on 15 September 1861 at Muddenahalli in Mysore was the chief architect behind the construction of the Krishna Raja Sagara dam. This dam was like a boon for the farmers of the surrounding area. This dam fertilized the barren land and made it farming worthy. Still, many farmers are getting benefited with this dam.
Sir M. Visvesvaraya was not only the most prolific civil engineer and dam builder but an economist and statesman too. He can be the perfect role model of today’s generation. We all know about the achievements of Sir M. Visvesvaraya but unfortunately, most of us are not aware of his struggles.
Here are the few facts related to Bharat Ratna Sir M Visvesvaraya’s life.
- Sir M Visvesvaraya was born in a Kannada speaking Brahmin family. His father was a Sanskrit scholar. The financial condition of M Visvesvaraya’s family was not very good.
- When M Visvesvaraya was 12 years old, his father was passed away. Now M Visvesvaraya has to do work to earn the livelihood for the family. So he started giving tuitions to the younger kids but didn’t stop his studies.
- Sir M Visvesvaraya used to study under the street light and used to walk for many kilometer to reach his school.
- With the help of government, he completed his engineering from prestigious College of Engineering at Pune.
- After the completion of his graduation, he joined the PWD Mumbai as Assistant
- He developed the Block System to prevent the wasteful flow of water in dams.
- Because of his work, he was sent to Aden for further study of water supply and drainage system in 1906-07.
- Sir M Visvesvaraya supervised the engineering work in Hyderabad to design flood protection system for the city. From here many people started to recognize
- He also saved the Visakhapatnam port from being eroded from the sea by using his intelligence and engineering tactics.
- He was appointed as the Chief Engineer of Mysore State in 1909 and from 1912-1918 he served Mysore as the 19th Diwan of the kingdom.
- Sir M Visvesvaraya became so famous by the engineering works that King George V awarded him the British knighthood. That’s way has the honorific “sir”.
- He was awarded The Bharat Ratna in 1955 for his work in the field of Engineering.
- He received the Doctorate degree from 8 Indian universities.
He passed away in 1962 at the age of 102 years. But we still remember him and his works. His life as a child was completely different from his life in his later years. This is an example that shows the importance of study and hard work.
Being an engineer is not an easy task, but to be the best engineer is the most difficult thing. Even after a struggle in childhood, Sir M Visvesvaraya proved that he is the best engineer.
I hope you will learn something from the struggles and the success of Bharat Ratna sir M Visvesvaraya.