Women started moving out of house to bring a revolution long back. They were a part of our freedom struggle and the journey there started never took a step back. They are now moving parallel to men in every sphere of life. Till the year 1992, women were inducted only in the Medical Services of Armed Forces. From July 1992, the Indian Navy started recruitment of women at officers position in the Short Service Commission in select branches of the Navy.
Women now are holding positions of officers in Indian Navy and are a part of Law/ Logistics/ Education departments and are working as Naval observer, Naval architect or Navy pilot.
Scroll down to know the entry for women in Indian Navy with the eligibility criteria.
- Candidates should be less the 19 and half years in age and over 25 years.
- Candidates should have complete B.E/B.Tech degree in Civil/Mechanical/Naval Architecture/ Metallurgy/Aeronautical with minimum 60% marks.
- The age of eligibility is 22 to 27 years.
- Candidates with a law degree are qualified to enroll as advocate.
- Age of candidate should be 19-24 years.
- Candidates should have BE/B.Tech degree in any stream with Maths and Physics as subjects in 12th standard.
- The age limit for candidates with CPL is 19 to 25 years.
- Candidate should have current and valid CPL issued by DGCA (India).
- The age of candidate should not be below 19 years and over 24 years.
- Candidates should have B.E/B.Tech degree in any disciple with Maths and Physics as subjects in the 12th standard.
Air Traffic Controller (ATC)
- Age of eligibility for this position is 19 and half to 25 years.
- Candidates should have BE/B.Tech degree in any stream with Physics and Maths as subjects in 12th standard.
- The age of candidates should not be below 21 years and more than 25 years.
- Candidates should have a 2nd class Master’s degree in Physics or Mathematics of a recognized university. Candidates possessing Master’s degree in Physics or Mathematics should have studied other subject at subsidiary level at degree standard. OR
- Should have a 2nd class Master’s degree in English or Chemistry of a recognized university. Candidates possessing master’s degree in any of the two subjects should have studied the other subject at subsidiary level at degree standard. OR
- A 2nd class Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Computer Application of a recognized university with Physics or Mathematics studied at graduation level. OR
- A post graduate degree in Humanities (Political Science/Economics/History) of a recognized university. OR
- A degree in Mechanical/ Electrical/ Computer Science/ Technology Engineering.
Naval Armament Inspection (NAI)
- The age of eligibility for candidates is 19 and half to 25 years.
- Candidates should have BE/B.Tech degree in IT/ Chemical/ Mechanical/ Electronics/ Electrical/ Instrumentation/ Metallurgy/ Production/ Aerospace Engineering
- The age limit for candidates is 19 and half to 25 years.
- To apply for Logistics cadre, candidates should have BE/B.Tech or MBA or M.Sc/ M.Sc(IT) with 1st class OR B.Sc/B.Com/B.Sc(IT) in any discipline with 1st class and PG Diploma in Finance/ Logistics/ Material Management/ Supply Chain Management.
- To apply for works, candidates should have BE/ B.Tech (Civil)/ B.Tech Architect.
- To apply for catering, candidates should have MBA(HM)/ M.Sc (HM)/ B.Sc or BA with 1st class and PG Diploma in HM.
Wrapping it up
Women are inducted to some of the branches of Indian Navy, however the days are near when they will hold position in every branch of Indian defence sector, be it Army, Navy or Air Force. Punita Arora, who was commissioned in 1968, is the first female vice admiral and first woman in the India Navy to reach the 2nd highest rank (Lieutenant General).
Hope this page helps women seeking a career in the Indian Navy. To know more visit, www.joinindiannavy.gov.in. If you have a question or any information to share, write it in the comment section below.