With modern economies adopting automation and robotics for assisting in daily tasks, the field of mechatronics engineering has also experienced a boom. With robots becoming our new friends and automation becoming the new cool, this highly technical field will be in demand as it has a huge role to play in the advancement of technology and also has the capability to make sophisticated intelligent systems to help businesses thrive in this highly modern world.
Insights of this blog are:-
- Mechatronics Engineering: What It Is?
- Degree Offered And Subjects Taught In Mechatronics Engineering
- List of Top Institutes In India For Pursuing Mechatronics Engineering
- Career Opportunities: Job Role, Growth Prospects And Salary Offered For Mechatronics Engineering
- The Future Of Mechatronics Engineering
Mechatronics Engineering: What It Is?
- Mechatronics Engineering is a multidisciplinary field which combines several types of engineering such as electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, computer engineering etc.
- It aims to impart knowledge to the individual necessary to thrive in this contemporary, automated and advanced manufacturing industry.
- Mechatronics Engineering is an industry buzzword which in simple words refer to robotics and electro-mechanical engineering.
- All the activities related to the Control systems, Electro-mechanical systems and Robotics fall under Mechatronics Engineering.
Degree Offered And Subjects Taught In Mechatronics Engineering
The study module in the Mechatronics Engineering comprises of a wide range of subjects in the basic standard and principles of Mechatronics, Computer and Mechanical Engineering. The field is highly practical and the course structure mainly focuses on various parts of mechatronics such as modelling, sensors, controllers, real-time computer interfacing, and actuators.
The field offers a Bachelor’s Degree and a Master’s Degree for the aspirants who wish to take up mechatronics engineering in the future.
- For the Bachelor’s Degree, the course duration is of 4 years, on completing which an individual becomes a graduate in the field of Mechatronics Engineering.
- It is mandatory for the student to study mathematics, physics and chemistry in class 12th and pass the board exam with a minimum of 50% marks if he/she wishes to pursue a Bachelor’s degree in this field.
- For the Master’s Degree, the course duration is of 2 years, on completing which an individual becomes a post-graduate in the field of Mechatronics Engineering.
- To pursue a Master’s Degree in Mechatronics Engineering, it is mandatory for the aspirant to hold a bachelor’s degree in mechatronics engineering from a reputed college or university.
Mechatronics Engineering is a combination of Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics and Computer Science engineering and thus will have subjects from all the four domains. In particular, a student has to go through the following subjects during his course of study:-
- Theory of Machines, Strength of Materials, Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics and Heat Transfer, Hydraulics and Pneumatics, CAD/CAM and Manufacturing Processes from Mechanical Branch.
- Digital Electronics, Linear Integrated Circuits, Analog Electronics, Control Systems, Microprocessors and Microcontrollers from Electronics Branch.
- Object-oriented programming from Computer Science Branch.
- Industrial Electronics from Electrical Branch.
List of Top Institutes For Pursuing Mechatronics Engineering In India
While the demand for Mechatronics Engineering is rising each day, most of the colleges/ institutes have opened up such courses just for the sake of money. The courses offered by such colleges/universities lack practical knowledge and thus fail to acquaint the individual with necessary skills to thrive in this highly technical and advanced world, thus leading to waste of time and money.
Thus, if you are planning to pursue Mechatronics Engineering, you should always prefer to join some of the top institutes in the country that will help you get a big start in your career.
Some of the top institutes which could be just the right choice for you, in case you are thinking of Mechatronics Engineering are:-
- Indian Institute Of Technology, Madras
- Indian Institute Of Technology, Roorkee
- Indian Institute Of Technology, Guwahati
- Delhi Technological University, Delhi University
- National Institute Of Technology, Warangal
- Vellore Institute Of Technology, Vellore
- National Institute Of Technology, Raurkela
- Narsee Monjee Institute Of Management, Mumbai
- Amity University, Noida
- Manipal Institute Of Technology, Manipal
Career Opportunities: Job Role, Growth Prospects And Salary Offered For Mechatronics Engineering
As soon as you complete your bachelor’s degree in Mechatronics Engineering, you will be having plenty of job opportunities which have recently emerged in this domain. Moreover, skilled Mechatronics Engineers are highly demanded implementing, designing and operating internet control of machines, engine management systems and autonomous robots. Talking particularly about India, a variety of roles and positions are offered to Mechatronics Engineers as they cater the growing needs of this fast-developing nation by helping in making a transition from manual mode of working to automation and making robots our new friends.
Some of the most common roles/positions a Mechatronics Engineer can expect after completing his degree from a decent college is:-
- Computer System Analyst
- Robotics Test Engineer
- Application Engineer
- Automotive Engineer
- Control System Engineer
- Data Logging Engineer
- Instrumentation Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Systems Engineer
- Service Engineer
While these are some of the common profiles offered to a Mechatronic Engineer, a specialist in this domain generally work in the domain such as cybersecurity, telecommunications, computer science, automotive engineering, robotics, artificial intelligence, and consumer products and packaging.
Talking about salary, one can surely expect good pay with such interesting job profiles at the start of the career. However, salary depends upon various factors such as the experience of the individual, their performance, job role, recruiting company etc. A skilled fresher can expect anywhere between 3 -6 lakhs per annum at the beginning of the career, which will of course rise with the experience.
The Future of Mechatronics Engineering
With the advancement in technology, more and more businesses are trying to adapt to the newer norms to sustain in this rapidly changing world. This has created a demand for skilled individuals who are capable of delivering and helping businesses adapt to automation and robotics. As we progress forward, the demand for this high-tech industry will surely experience a huge rise in the years to come.