Job vs. career is no new thing, but now youngsters want to know the difference between them. If you look at the last decade, you will find that the job market has changed completely and various new career options have opened for the youngsters. The young blood is exploring new career lines, and they are earning money by making vlogs and other creative work. So job, which was a very common word before this new technical era, has shifted to the back seat.
In the debate of job vs. career, generally, people think both of them are the same things. By the end of the day, both are to earn money and livelihood. But if you have a curious mind and love to go into detail, you must read this article. When you the difference between a job and a career, it becomes easier for you to decide what you are actually looking for. So, it becomes important to know the difference between a job and a Career.
If you look at the money perspective, you will find both job and career on the same page. But technically, we do a job to get some money, and a Career is a long journey of effort. Your job is just a role, and a Career signifies how you get it. Job is something that we all need to pay the bills, but not everyone is lucky enough to have a career of their choice. So the sooner you get the difference between a job and a career, the more time you will get to plan your career. Now let us understand job vs. career in detail.
Job Vs. Career: What is the Difference?
So, now you know that job, and a Career is not the same things. In fact, the purpose of jobs and Careers is also different. Though we earn money from both career and job is just a part of a career. Before moving further to know the difference between job and career, first let us understand what a job and career is;
What is a job?
- A job is the work that you do and get a salary for it. You get a job based on your skills, education, and experience. Job is a part of your daily life. You have the option of full-time or part-time jobs, and you can choose one at your convince. Job is an easy and accepted way to earn money.
- Companies or job providers hire the aspirants and assign them tasks as per their caliber and education. The best part of the job is regular payment, but it also makes the employee responsible for all the tasks an employee does.
- A job offers experience along with money. The money part can be less or as per the expectation of the employee. It depends on the job location, job type, and risk & responsibility attached with it.
- The nature of the job can be on a permanent or contractual basis. When a worker agrees to work with the job provider for a limited work or duration, it also falls in the job category. After completing assigned work, the contract ends, and the worker has to look for new work or concentrate on his existing projects.
What is a career?
A career is the complete journey of a profession that can be your passion or wish. A career starts with a dream, and you can achieve it with passion and required skills & education. Though a career also offers financial benefits, it doesn’t mean monthly or weekly payments. You may have to struggle to achieve the desired career, or you can also get it after achieving all the qualifications.
One can achieve a career by obtaining the desired experience and qualification, but preparation takes more time. A career has more benefits, including salary, other financial benefits, bonus, profit shares, and pride. An individual feels satisfied and happy after achieving his desired career.
How Jobs and Career are Different?
Now you know what a job is and what a career is. So let’s move to the next step to know the difference between them. Here you must know that job and career are inter-connected. Both offer some tangible and non-tangible benefits. Here have a look at the main differences between a job and a career;
- A job offers you a regular income, and it’s a practice that you will have to do to meet your daily needs. At the same time, a career is a series of jobs and experiences.
- A job offers you experience and enhances your soft skills like problem-solving and team handling. A career is a journey of using technical and soft skills together.
- A job has less effect on your present and future life, but a career is a part of your life. Your career choice can change your present and future. Your education and learning will help you fuel your career, but you cannot use them thoroughly in jobs. It is because that most of the jobs need some certain qualification, so a job doesn’t need all your knowledge.
- A job offers you to meet new people and to have a good network with the people of your workplace. In a career, you get plenty of opportunities to meet people from different working backgrounds and have a more strong network of professionals.
- The duration of a job can be long or small, but a career is for a much longer duration. Job is just a part of the career.
- A job offers you a salary when you use a minimum of your talent, of course, without making your boss feel that you are qualified for the job. A career needs a maximum of your efforts, knowledge, and experience. For a stable career, you will have to offer something extra, but you will have to give a consistent performance for a stable job.
Here you should also know that career is not a journey of the same kinds of job. For example, a door-to-door salesperson can be an entrepreneur. His D-T-D job has taught him some experience, but his present work is different than the job. People can have a career without working on slimier posts or designation. The significance of a job gets to end after 3 to 5 years, but a career doesn’t lose its importance in one’s life.
If you check the behavior of new employees, you will find that they opt for a job only to earn money. Very few professionals have a bigger dream attached to their job, but most find it a rat trap to earn. Career, on the other hand, offers satisfaction, along with money. A job is a necessity, where a career is a happiness. It’s like making a dream come true. And this is the basic difference between a job and a career. You can have your career while being busy with a job, but you will not be interested in doing a job when you have a career.
Why is it Important to know the difference between job and career?
- A student starts to think about a career from a young age, but he wants a high-paying job in senior classes.
- When the students know the difference between them, they can make a better choice after 12th or UG or PG.
- The chances of getting stuck with the wrong career or job become less. Though sometimes, you have to survive in a bad or average job to get a better one.
- Later on, the experience you gain at a bad job helps you to handle a difficult situation. So survival is easy in a job or career, but happiness is in your choice.
- Job has no less importance in-comparison of career, its equally important and a part of your life. All you need to do is make your job a beautiful chapter of your professional journey.
A Final Note
Once you stop learning, you get stuck with a job that only offers your salary. Keep your training needs to be updated and learn new skills and techniques. You will find your present job has prepared a stable career path for you.