Career in Veterinary has lots of possibilities for the eligible job seekers to grow. Veterinary careers fall in the category of unconventional jobs. Though veterinarian gets an excellent salary and stable career, still not many people know about it. So we will discuss what Veterinary is and how you can have your career in it. Let’s start with introducing the Veterinary and understanding what kind of job this sector produces.
Career in Veterinary
In the present era, it’s challenging to have a promising career and a stable job. People work hard in their students’ lives and spend many hours studying different subjects to have a stable career. We all have been to that point where career related confusion hit us. We have so many options, and it becomes difficult to choose the most suitable one out of them. Professional career counselling helps at this point. You can also handle this situation like a pro when you know about plenty of career options. So here we are describing to you about veterinary.
Career in medical fields are beyond recession and downfall. People have a strong will to stay healthy and live longer, so they need doctors, medical professionals and medicines. We, humans, are not alone that love to live; animals also have the same determination. Humans have doctors, and animals have veterinarians. So on simpler words, veterinary doctors are basically doctors for animals and birds. Their primary responsibility to diagnose the diseases of animals and treat them. Veterinary doctors work to improve the health of pets and other animals. Generally, this kind of doctor are known as ‘Vet.’ Let’s learn more about the career in Veterinary from the below given description;
Career in Working with Animals
Animals are cute, aren’t they? If you love animals and feel the pain of crying and ill animals, you are unique. Unfortunately, not all humans can feel love to an animal. If you think so, you must pick a career that can help the animals live in a better world. A veterinary doctor is a career option that you can choose. A veterinary doctor must have certain professional and personal qualities to give critical care to the animals.
Like humans, animals also need love, care and medical help. Human doctors are not trained to offer medical assistance to the animals. Veterinary doctors help the animals to be fit and fine. Animals have been a part of humans; lives for centuries. We cannot think of life on earth without animals. The veterinary careers are not new as earlier also pet used to get treated, but now people love to have more pets, so the scope of career in Veterinary has increased. Vets not only treat the pet animals but the other rouge animals also. Many NGOs that work for the welfare of animals bring injured and ill animals to vets. So opportunities are endless in this field.
According to many experienced veterinarians, working with animals is a life-changing experience. Unlike humans, animals cannot describe their health related issues. Handling them is as complicated as handling a young baby. A vet needs to study the animals’ bodies and also need to learn how to handle an ill or injured animal. Career with animals depends on your qualifications. The more educated and experienced you are, the better career opportunities you will get. You can have the following veterinary careers options;
- Animal Care Specialist
- Veterinary Doctor
- Veterinary Officer
- Livestock Development Officer
- Vet Doctor in NGOs
- Veterinary Surgeon
- Animal Breeder
- Cattle Breeder
- Animal Research Scientist
Educational Qualifications for Veterinary Doctors
The veterinary doctor is the right career choice for you if you love to cure animals. To have a career in the Veterinary, you must be passionate about medicine and medicines. You must have chosen Bio after 10th to be a vet. After completing your 12th with Physics, Chemistry and Bio, you can select a related bachelor course to have a Vet career. Here is the detail of courses that you will have to complete to be a vet;
Bachelor courses, Master Courses, Doctoral Courses
For veterinary aspirant’s various Bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral courses are available. A Bachelor’s degree is the minimum requirement to have a career as a veterinary. After the completion of the bachelor course, the candidate can enrol in masters and then in the doctoral course. The aspirants will have to take the NEET exam to get admission in most UG courses of veterinary. The students will get the colleges based on their rank in the NEET exam. Here are the details of the courses that will help you to build a career in this field;
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry (B.V.Sc & AH) – The course’s duration is five years.
- BV. Sc. in Animal Production & Management: It’s a three years UG course. In this course, the candidates study integrated farming systems, cattle management, and other veterinary topics.
- BV. Sc. in Veterinary Medicine, Public Health & Hygiene: it’s also a three years course, and you must have completed 10+2 with PCB to get admission in this course. It deals with medicine and hygiene in animals.
- BV. Sc. in Animal Genetics and Breeding: This course’s duration is five years, and eligibility is 12th pass out.
- BV. Sc. in Veterinary Surgery & Radiology: it’s a three years course with a compulsory internship of 6 months. Basic eligibility to get admission in this course is 12th. AICEE, AIPVT, CVSAHEE and EAMCET are a few entrance courses to get admission in this UG course.
- Master of Veterinary Science (M.V.Sc)
- MV. Sc in Veterinary Pharmacology & Toxicology
- MV. Sc in Veterinary Medicine
- MV. Sc in Veterinary Surgery & Radiology
Here is the detail of doctoral courses in veterinary;
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Veterinary Pathology
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Veterinary Medicine
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Veterinary Pharmacology & Toxicology
Colleges Offer Degree in Veterinary
Various colleges offer degree and doctoral courses in Veterinary. Have a look at the top colleges that offer a degree in veterinary;
- ICAR- National Dairy Research Institute, Karnal
- ICAR-Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Bareilly
- Guru Angad Dev Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Ludhiana
- Tamil Nadu Veterinary & Animal Sciences University, Chennai
- Maharashtra Animal & Fisheries Sciences University, Nagpur
- Lala Lajpat Rai University of Veterinary & Animal Sciences, Hisar
- West Bengal University of Animal & Fishery Sciences, Kolkata
- Kerala Veterinary & Animal Sciences University, Pookode
- Nanaji Deshmukh Pashu Chikitsa Vigyan Visva Vidyalaya, Jabalpur
- Rajasthan University of Veterinary & Animal Sciences, Bikaner
- Sri Venkateswara Veterinary University, Tirupati
- UP Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhaya Pashu Chikitsa Vigyan Vishwavidhyala Evam Go Anusandhan Sansthan, Mathura
- Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University, Bidar
- Chhattisgarh Kamdhenu Vishwavidyalaya, Durg
- Sri PV Narsimha Rao Telangana State Veterinary University, Hyderabad
- Kamdhenu University, Gandhinagar
The names of colleges are placed in the list based on their rank in the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR).
Duties of Veterinarians
A vet is animals’ doctor. A veterinarian’s duties are similar to a doctor’s, and the only difference is that the doctor has to treat humans, and a veterinarian has to treat animals.
- Veterinarians have to provide the cure of the animals’ disease.
- They are to educate the pet owners about the precautions they are to take for their pets.
- To identify any animal to human transferred disease, the Vet has to inform the authorities immediately. It is their ethical duty.
- Vets are to involve in the research work as well.
Types of Veterinarians
Here look at the different types of vets and their responsibilities;
- Food Safety & Inspection Veterinaries: The vets on this profile work to initiate research about finding animals to animals and animals to human transmissible disease. In the present scenario, when the world is fighting a pandemic, professionals’ work on this post becomes more important.
- Companion animal veterinarians: On this profile, the vets diagnose and provide treatment to domestic animals like dogs, cows, cats, etc. Companion animal Vets work in a pet’s hospital or clinic.
- Food animal veterinarians: The veterinarians that offer treatment to farm animals and cattle fall into this category. They are to treat the disease and illness of animals like pigs, cows etc. and also educate their owners about the health practice and food for healthy animals.
- Equine veterinarian – They are to inspect the horses and offer required treatment to them.
- Research Veterinarians: As reflected by name, research vets are involved in the research associated with the animals’ surgeries and health.
Job and Career
It is suggested that the aspirants must know about the career opportunities in detail before making their mind about choosing a particular career. Veterinary is a good but less popular career option. Not many people are aware of it, so they don’t pick it too. Lack of awareness is the leading and primary reason behind the lack of good vets in India. In future, the requirement for Veterinary will increase, so it can be a good career option for those who love animals and medicines both. The number of pet owners is increasing, so the demand for vets will be rise. It is expected that in the next ten years, the need for vets will increase by 18%. In India, farm animals are a good source of earning. People love to have cows at home. So the demands of Vet is always high. You can pick this career for a stable and respected job.
At the present time, when getting a job is a difficult task, a career as a veterinarian offers a decent and stable employment. Both private and public sectors have vacancies for qualified and intelligent vets. If you want to be an animal’s doctor, then the present time is perfect for it. So, go ahead and fulfil your dream to treat the ill and injured animals. You can write to us in case of any confusion or query related to veterinary careers.