Weekly current affairs to help you give a much needed boost to your general knowledge. Current affairs amounts to a good amount of questions in every competitive exams, so test your current affairs GK skills with this short quiz.
Let’s get started….
Question 1: Who is the first Indian Javelin thrower who won gold in the Olympic Games?
Answer 1: Indian Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra qualified for the Javelin throw final at the Olympics on August 4, 2021. He topped the Group A qualification with a throw of 86.65m. Neeraj Chopra won the gold medal in the men’s javelin throw at Tokyo Olympics with a throw of 87.58m in his second attempt.
Question 2: Who has been appointed as the Prime Minister of Armenia?
Answer 2: Nikol Pashinyan, who was first appointed as country’s Prime Minister in 2018, has been re-appointed as the Prime Minister of Armenia. His candidacy for the post of Prime Minister was appointed by Armenia’s President Armen Srkissian.
About Nikol Pashinyan
- He was born on 1st June 1975 in Ijevan, in the northeastern province of Tavush.
- He was named after his paternal grandfather who died in World War II.
- He served in the 554th Rifle Regiment of the 138th Rifle Division and died in 1943.
Question 3: Nelliyode Vasudevan Namboothiri was associated with which dance form?
Answer 3: Nelliyode Vasudevan Namboothiri was a Kathakali artist known for his vibrant portrayal of the evil chuvanna thaadi roles of the classical Kathakali dance-drama from Kerala.
- He was a scholar in Sanskrit and Hindu Puranas.
- He was honoured with several awards including Kerala State Kathakali Prize, Kendra Sangeet Natak Akademi, and Kerala Sangeetha Nataka Akademi award among others.
- Kathak is an ancient performance art that emerged in North India, with roots in traveling bards retelling mythical and spiritual stories through dance-acting, as claimed by Wikipedia.
Question 4: The newly published book, “Nehru, Tibet and China” is authored by?
Answer 4: The book “Nehru, Tibet and China” is authored by Avtar Singh Bhasin, a writer and historian.
- The book “Nehru, Tibet and China” describes various details and events that took place during the Independence of India to the Indo-China war of 1962.
- The book focuses on the Indo-China relationship as well as highlights Tibet and its boundary issues, China’s occupation of Tibet and the fleeing of the 14th Dalai Lama from Tibet to India.
- Avtar Singh Bhasin prior being an author served in the Ministry of External Affairs for approx. 30 years.
- He retired as the Director of the Historical Division in 1993.
- He has also served in the National Archives of India and Indian Ministry of Defence.
- He has written various books including India’s Foreign Relations, Indian in Sri Lanka, India and Pakistan, and India-China Relations among others.
Question 5: Who has won the Lokmanya Tilak National Award 2021?
Answer 5: Dr. Cyrus Poonawalla, chairman of Serum Institute of India (SII), to be honoured with the prestigious “Lokamanya Tilak Award 2021”.
- He will be awarded for manufacturing Covisheild to help the society during pandemic and saving many lives during the devastating coronavirus pandemic.
- Lokmanya Tilak National Award was started in the year 1983.
- The award is an annual award, given on August 1, which marks the death anniversary of Lokmanya Tilak.
- The award had been given to various famous personalities including Indira Gandhi, Atal Biharee Vajpayee, Dr. Manmohan Singh, Pranab Mukherjee, N R Narayana Murthy among others.
Question 6: Who has become the first Indian woman to win two Olympic medals?
Answer 6: P V Sindu has become the first Indian woman to win two Olympic medals.
- She won her first Olympic medal, a silver medal, at Rio Olympics 2016.
- She won a bronze medal at Tokyo Olympics 2021 winning against He Bing Jiao of China.
- PV Sindhu hails from Hyderabad, Telangana.
- Her Personal coach is Park Tae Sang and the national coach of Badminton is Pullela Gopichand.
- She was honoured with the Padma Bhushan Award in the year 2020.
- She was honoured with the Arjuna Award in 2013, Pamda Shri in 2015, and Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award in 2016.