If you admire the career of cabin crew and don’t know how you can be one? If you are a male and don’t know much about the career opportunities in the aviation industry? If you want to make a career in a well-paying profession but confused about how to do it? You are not alone. Many youngsters think of getting a job that offers them a good salary and allows them to roam the world. If you are one of them, then you can pick a career as a flight steward.
The aviation industry offers the best remuneration to the people working in it. So many aspirants want to have their career in this industry. Career as a flight steward is one of the most luxurious and attractive option. If you want to earn well while enjoying your professional life, you must plan your career as a cabin crew.
Flight strewed is a post in the cabin crew department of an airline, and it is given to the male candidates. The female counterpart on this post is Air Hostess, which is also a very popular profession in girls. Apart from pilots and co-pilots, the airlines need cabin crew that includes Air Hostess and flight steward to serve their customers better.
Career as a flight steward is not as easy as it looks. The flight steward has to make the passengers comfortable and help them in all kind of situations. In case of any emergency, the flight steward plays an important role in ensuring the passengers’ safety. Let’s know more about the career as cabin crew, required eligibility, and skills;
Career as Flight Steward
Expansion of the Indian Aviation industry brings many job opportunities to youngsters and professionals. In the aviation industry, the employees have to deal with the customers directly. So the demanded skilled and trained youngsters remains constant in this industry. The airlines hire 12th pass-outs for their cabin crew. So if you are looking for a job after the 12th, you can pick a cabin crew career. Here are the basic eligibilities to apply for this vacancy;
Eligibility to be a Flight Steward
The airlines hire young male candidates with pleasant personalities on this post. Here are the basic criteria for aspiring flight attendants;
- Age: The applicant’s age should be below 25 years.
- Education: The applicant must be 12th pass out from a recognized education board.
- Language: Hindi and English (Any other language will be considered as an advantage)
- Marital Status: Applicant should be unmarried.
- Height: Minimum height of the applicant should be 5.5 feet and a maximum of 5.9 feet.
- Weight: According to the height.
- EyeSight: 20/30 vision or better
- Other: The applicant must have a healthy body and mind. He must not have any tattoo piercing on his body. Weird hair colors and hairstyles are also not allowed.
Require Courses & Eligibility
If you fulfill the eligibility as mentioned above criteria, you can apply for the vacancies available for flight steward. The airlines provide training to shortlisted flight attendants. Considering the demand for trained cabin crew, many institutes have introduced their certification and diploma courses. The courses help the aspirants to crack the interview for cabin crew recruitment. Some of the airlines also offer certification and diploma courses. The duration of certification and diploma courses can be 3 to 12 months. Here we have mentioned the diploma and certification courses that will help you to bring your dream one step closer to you;
- Diploma in Aviation & Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Airline Cabin Crew
- Diploma in Tourism Management
- Diploma in Cabin Crew Services & Hospitality Management
- Certificate Course in Air Hostess/Flight Purser
To be a member of an airline’s cabin crew, some soft skills are a must. Without the skills, the aspirants will not get selected for the available vacancies. Here have a look at the most required skills and ask you if you have the same or you need to develop them;
- Pleasant and confident Personality
- Good Communication Skills
- Customer Handling Skills
- Soft Spoken
- Problem Solving Attitude
- Team Spirit
Institutes to Offer Courses in Aviation
If you want to get enrolled in any course-related flight steward, you can approach the institutes listed below.
- Frankfinn Institute of Air Hostess Training
- Air Hostess Academy
- Avalon Academy, Dehradun
- Kingfisher Training and Aviation Services
- Indian Aviation Academy
- J. Aviation academy
- All India Institute of Aeronautics
These institutes offer short-term courses to the aspirants that want to have a career as a flight steward or in cabin crew. When you visit the institute to know more about the offered course, do have a check on the help they offer in getting a job after completing the course.
How to get a job as a Flight Steward & Cabin Crew?
Now. Let’s address a more complicated question, how to be a flight steward? At present time competition is high in getting a job, and the aviation industry is no exception. The airlines receive job applications in thousands against a few vacancies. Though the cabin crew training centers also offer assistance in getting a job, you also should know about the complete procedure in getting a job as a flight steward;
- The airlines release the vacancies for air hostess and cabin crew online (on different job portals and their websites) and offline (in national newspapers). So keep checking the website and newspapers for the announcement of vacancies in any airline.
- Apply for the job with the given method. IF you will get shortlisted, then the first hurdle for the applicant is the written test. The test will check the intelligence of the applicant.
- On clearing the test, the candidate will have to appear in the GD and then interview. There last and most important selection round is the interview.
- On clearing the interview, the applicant will get shortlisted for the training offered by the airlines. After successful completion of the training, the candidates will be on board. Initially, the newly selected candidates will be posted on domestic flights, and later on, they will be promoted to the cabin crew in international flights.
Career Opportunities as Flight Steward
You need to spend a good amount to be a flight steward as the private institutes’ training is not cp. After paying in lakhs for diploma courses, you want to have a stable career. Many people believe that a career as a flight strewed is not long lasting. It’s just a myth. Career in cabin crew is not a short term career. According to the airlines’ rules and regulations, the flight steward has to stop flying after a certain age. In this case, the airlines offer them other jobs in office or ground. The experience gained on the flights also helps the candidates in getting a job in the tourism and hospitality industry.
In recent years the more airlines have started to fly their giant birds. So the demand for cabin crew members is increased. In India, more airports are developing, so more air crafts will be flying in the future. Considering this, you can understand that demand for flight steward and air hostess will not slowdown in the future. Flight steward can get career opportunities in both public and private sectors’ airline. The applicants looking to establish their career as flight steward can also get a job at the below-mentioned working areas;
- Ground Staff of Airline or Airport
- Domestic and International Private Airlines
- Domestic and International Government Airline
Top Recruiters for Cabin Crew
All the domestic and international airlines hire air hostesses and Flight steward. Here are a few of them;
- Air India
- Air Asia
- Alliance Air
- Air India
Working Culture For a Flight Steward and Salary
Getting a job in an airline means you will have to travel a lot and see different places. A flight steward has to meet a different kind of people. So it’s challenging with lots of travelling. Handling difficult people and the panic situation is another part of the job that makes it difficult. You have to work 9 to 12 hours a day, and it can be raised depends on the situation. Generally, the cabin crew staff has to fly for 36 to 50 hours a week. The week off will depend on your roaster.
The initial salary of a fresh flight steward can be 2.5 LPA to 4.5 LPA. Private airlines offer a good salary to the cabin crew. Private international airlines offer even better remuneration to their people. Salary in an international airline can be between 8 to 11 LPA.
Here are a few that will you make your dream of working as a flight steward come true;
- How to Become a Flight Attendant by Lauren PorterHow To Become Cabin Crew: the ULTIMATE insider’s guide to passing the Cabin Crew selection process by Jessica Bond
- Cabin Crew Interview Questions & Answers by Caitlyn Rogers
- Femininity in Flight: A History of Flight Attendants by Barry, Kathleen
- The Complete Flight Attendant Interview Work Book: Volume 1 by Sasha Robinson
- The Essential Guide To Becoming A Flight Attendant by Kiki Ward
The Last Word
Career as Flight Stewed offers a lot, but it needs a lot of hard work too. No job is easy, and this one has lots of risks involved in it. So, keep all the good and bad sides of the job in mind and then take a step to be a flight steward. In case of any doubt, reach to us.