An online system known as “sex ratio monitoring dashboard” has been set up by the Haryana Government under the Government of India’s social campaign “Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao” for monitoring the child sex ratio in the state’s Panipat district.
Brief About “Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao” Scheme
• Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao scheme has been launched by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in January 2015, starting from Haryana for 100 districts across the nation for addressing the issue of declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR).
• The implementation of scheme has been handled by the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development.
• The scheme has been designed for addressing the issue of CSR decline and issues related to disempowerment of women in the nation through a life cycle continuum.
• The main objective of the scheme is to prevent gender biased sex selective elimination by strict enforcement of laws with introduction of severe punishment to all violators.
The Sex Ratio Monitoring Dashboard will include data collected on child sex ratio every month from all villages in the Panipat district by the Health Department and Women & Child Welfare Department.
Sex Ratio Monitoring Dashboard: Key Facts
• The sex ratio monitoring dashboard has been developed as a pilot project by the Haryana Government in collaboartion with the National Informatics Centre.
• The online monitoring system will collect data on the district villages that need actions on slanted child sex ratio. This data collection will help government take actions to tackle child sex ratio issues.
• The online sex ratio monitoring dashboard aims to improve the ground-level coordination between the Women & Child Welfare Department and Health Department.
Haryana has one of the lowest child sex ratio in the nation. The child sex ratio of Haryana stands at 879 girls per thousand boys as against the national child sex ratio of 918 girls per thousand boys.