The Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) has been launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on January 9, 2017, after the inauguration of 14th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas convention in Bengaluru, Karnataka. Pravasi Kaushal Vikas Yojana is a skill development program focused on Indian youth looking for overseas employment to make the nation the World’s Skill Capital.
Key features of the PMKVY:
1. PMKVY has been launched to train and certify Indian youth seeking overseas employment opportunities in sectors that have high demand in the international labor market conforming to the international standards.
2. PMKVY will keep the security and safety of Indians employed abroad as the highest priority
3. The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) will implement the program in consultation with the Union Skill Development Ministry and Union Ministry of External Affairs.
4. PMKVY will also keep a track of all the Indian youth who will shift overseas after receiving training under the skill development program.
5. The program aims to lift confidence of Indians when they move abroad for a job. This will help them feel confident and comfortable when they move abroad for employment.
6. The program aims to take the nation from brain drain to brain gain.
7. NSDC will also leverage several memorandum of understanding (MoUs) it had signed with different agencies of Australia, Germany, United Kingdom, Singapore, Canada, European Union, United States, Iran, China and France, between the year 2011 and 2015.
8. Under PMKVY, skill development is provided to Indian youth based on their choice of vocation.
9. The skill development training provided under the PMKVY will be of international standards.
10. Fraudulent consultancies that cheat Indian youth by making fake about overseas opportunities will be reduced to a bigger extent.
11. PMKVY will serve as the perfect channel for all Indians who want to move abroad and work with certified skill training.