Swami Vivekananda (originally Narendra Nath Datta) was an Indian Hindu monk (born on 12th January 1863 and died on 4th of July 1902). Swami Vivekananda was the chief disciple of the 19th-century Indian mystic Ramakrishna. Vivekananda was born into an aristocratic Bengali family of Calcutta, Vivekananda was inclined towards spirituality. He was influenced by his guru, Ramakrishna, from whom he learned that all living beings were an embodiment of the divine self; therefore, service to God could be rendered by service to mankind.
Swami Vivekananda was a key figure in the introduction of the Indian philosophies of Vedanta and Yoga to the Western world and is credited with raising interfaith awareness, bringing Hinduism to the status of a major world religion during the late 19th century. He was a major force in the revival of Hinduism in India and contributed to the concept of nationalism in colonial India. Vivekananda founded the Ramakrishna Math and the Ramakrishna Mission.
He is perhaps best known for his speech in which he introduced Hinduism at the Parliament of the World’s Religions in Chicago in 1893. Swami Vivekananda is an inspiration to many well-known people and in his lifetime, he has quoted many lines that have inspired many and will surely inspire you too.
- “Whatever you think, that you will be. “
- If you think yourselves weak, weak you will be; if you think yourselves strong, strong you will be; if you think yourselves impure, impure you will be; if you think yourselves pure, pure you will be.”, this is an inspiring quote that tells that one should have a self-confident about him/herself, that the human mind is so powerful that we can be whatever we think of ourselves.
- “To succeed, you must have tremendous perseverance, tremendous will. ‘I will drink the ocean’, says the persevering soul, ‘at my will mountains will crumble up.’ Have that sort of energy, that sort of will, work hard, and you will reach the goal.” This quote inspires one’s will to do work and achieve success through their willpower.
- “Arise! Awake! and stop not until the goal is reached.” You all might have heard the famous line by the WWE fighter Dwayne Johnson of “stay focus and hit hard”. They both have the same meaning, of working hard and not stop until you have achieved the desired goal.
- “You cannot believe in God until you believe in yourself.” Like the previous quote, the quote has the same meaning to the famous quotation “God helps those who help themselves”.
- “You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you, none can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your own soul.” This quote tells you to believe in yourself, learn from your own mistakes and become your own idol.
- “Ask nothing; want nothing in return. Give what you have to give; it will come back to you, but do not think of that now.” This quote makes you a self-dependent person and helps you to achieve goals with your own efforts.