Are you willing to get into the Indian Administrative service (IAS)? Do you know that it is the most reputed and honored Job in India?
Here in this article, we will discuss all the information that you need to know about IAS exam.
Recruitment for Indian Civil Services are done through Civil Service examination conducted by UPSC. The Civil Services Exam is not easy to crack, it demands dedication and time from aspirants. Also, the panel set by UPSC for selection of candidates for Civil Services takes utmost care while making decision. The panel makes sure that the candidate they choose fits in the role in every aspect as he will be managing and supporting the country.
Incomparable Powers and Duties that Come with IAS
- The job of IAS comes with numerous accountability.
- To be an IAS officer you need to be diplomatic enough for understanding and managing the situations that come up in civil services.
- You need to have a non-biased view over every situation.
- You should have a strong decision making power.
IAS Interview and the Panel
- Panel that interviews the IAS candidates and selects them as officers, include experts, who are former IAS officers.
- You need to have the right attitude and confidence to be selected by the panel.
- You need to know how to make decisions in critical situations.
- You need to be confident and sure about your skills.
You should know these
- To be successful in IAS exam you need to have the right strategy.
- Must take reference from the strategies followed by previous toppers.
- Choose your optional subjects wisely.
- Know the latest pattern, syllabus and practice accordingly.
- Take mock exams to practice. Mock tests are important part of exam preparation.
The Change in the Exam Pattern
The new pattern of IAS Exam will give more importance to dynamic candidates, who have agile and sharp minds. Now the preliminary exam is of objective type and includes Aptitude. Now aptitude is the only criteria for shortlisting candidates. However, the optional subject pattern is still the same.
Who Can Help You
- Consult the candidates who have appeared for the UPSC exams and have cleared stages. They can help you know how to give a start to your preparation.
- Go through the previous exam papers to understand the difficulty level of questions.
- Don’t forget to read testimonials of IAS toppers. This would be of help.
- Never try to cover the complete syllabus of the exam. Analyze your strengths and weakness and focus on the exam.
When to Should Stop Trying
Many candidates try appearing for the exam year-after-years seeking success, but they taste failure every time. We will advise you to decide on the number of years you want to invest on it. When that limit is crossed try to get a suitable job.
Don’t keep trying because you have cleared prelims four times in row. Being positive is good, but never waste your life over it.
Find a few tips that will help you prepare for the IAS Exam in a better way.
1) Choose the right subjects: It’s vital
Once you have planned to appear for IAS Exam, the foremost step is to choose the right subjects for prelims. You must be wondering which subject you should choose as your first optional? I understand that it is not a bed of roses, but suggests you to take a subject that drives you to explore more about it. Never follow anything because others are following it. So, don’t select a subject just because everyone has selected that, like History and Hindi. Remember that your mentors can only guide you but the decision lies in your hand.
We would suggest you to choose the subject you will like to study in depth and according to the demands of the exam question. You should have a passion for the subject, because once you will be able to master the subject, the marks will follow.
2) Be ready to devote almost 2 years for IAS study
One complete civil service cycle comprises of the preliminary exam, main exam, followed by the interview, which together make up one complete year. You should prepare three subjects, along with one essay and two languages, which will require focused study of a minimum of two years. Don’t get disheartened if you are unable to clear the exam in the first two attempts, as most people clear it only after two years. It will be easy for you to get success in the exam if you will master your selected subjects thoroughly.
3) Give a special focus to general awareness section
General awareness is also very important from the exam point of view. Be devoted to optional subjects, but remember not to ignore general awareness. Do not wait till last moment to prepare General Studies (GS) for the civil service exams. Notice the pattern of GS paper, as it is becoming more and more dynamic includes mostly general awareness.
While preparing for mains paper, be more logical and issue focused. To achieve this you have to keep yourself updated with the current international and national developments. Read a daily newspaper like The Hindu and The Times of India to keep up with the general awareness. To improve your general knowledge you can also use competition magazines like SSC Chronicle, Yojana Magazine, Jagran Josh, and Pratiyogita Darpan, Manorama year book, and e-books and online study materials.
Winding It Up
Getting through in IAS is not an easy job, so you need to have well planned study schedule. Having a strong preparation does not guarantee success in any exam, it only increases the chances of success. IAS exam demands your 100 percent efforts, but that does not guarantee success. You also need to have a good mentor, or you can consider joining a coaching institute which is considered best for the IAS and has proven the same.
We wish you all the best for the exam preparation. May you come out in flying colors.