Kerala Finance Minister Thomas Isaac presented the Kerala State budget 2017-18. The budget has many things like promises for providing internet connection to 20 lakh households and improvement in women security. In the Budget speech, Dr. Thomas Isaac said that demonetization move of the Modi government has affected all sectors of life and may cause an economic slump.
Highlights of the Budget:
1. Rs 25000 crore allocated for infrastructure development in Kerala.
2. Rs 25 crores set apart for the Sabarimala Master Plan
3. Rs 174 crore allocated for electrification of all houses in the state.
4. Rs 68 crore announced for women protection and rehabilitation.
5. Rs 10 crore allocated to end manual scavenging and for planting 3 crore tree saplings by next monsoon.
6. Rs 2600 crore announced for the upliftment of SC
7. Rs 750 crore for the upliftment of ST
8. Rs 128 crore announced for coir industry.
9. Rs 2100 crore allocated for Agriculture sector
10. Rs 3000 crore announced for revival of the Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC)
11. Rs 10 crore announced as compensation for Endosulphan victims.
12. Rs 900 crore allocated for ration subsidy
13. The budget also announced one lakh homes for homeless in the state in the next year
14. Rs 10 crore announced for sewage maintenance.
15. Rs 1,621 crore allocated for child welfare
16. The budget promised creation of 2,500 teachers posts in the state
17. Rs 39 crore allocated for development of ports
18. Rs 863 crore announced for school education
19. Rs 968 crore has been allocated the hydel power projects of the state.
20. Rs 270 crore announced for rejuvenation of state’s public sector units
21. Rs 549 crore allocated for IT sector
22. Rs 45 crore has been allocated for coconut farming