With the increasing global spread of coronavirus, with an aim to make people of India aware about coronavirus risks, hygiene practices and let them know of people in their close proximity (1km to 10km) if tested COVID positive. Aarogya Setu app is to develop a connection between Indian citizens and essential health services to fight against COVID-19. The app informs users regarding risks, guides them on self-quarantine steps and what to do if get symptoms of COVID-19.
The world is still battling this novel virus that started from Wuhan, China. Indian government is taking all the necessary steps to keep people safe, we are now in the 4th phase of lockdown and the COVID-19 confirmed cases in India stands at 74,281, out of which 24,386 has been recovered and 2,415 have lost their life fighting this pandemic.
Steps by Indian Government to Fight Covid-19
All the necessary steps are being taken by the Government of India to combat the pandemic. The most important step taken by India, was 21-days lockdown announced by PM Modi to contain the spread of coronavirus. The lockdown was extended further till May 3rd 2020, followed by extending it to May 17, with some relaxations based on the zones categorized as per the contamination. Also the advisories have been issued by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and encouraging them to visit the nearest testing centre if they have COVID-19 related symptoms. Now, Aarogya Setu app to help people know of people tested COVID positive near them and the steps they need to follow in case they develop symptoms. PM Modi addressed the nation on May 12, 2020 and announced an overall economic package worth Rs 20 lakh crore. He also said that the fourth phase of lockdown will be different as it will come with new rules.
What is Aarogya Setu App?
Aarogya Setu App is a mobile app developed by the National Informatics Centre, under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), Government of India. The app is available on both Google Play (for Android phones) and Apple App Store (for iOS). In short, Aarogya Setu is a Bluetooth-based COVID-19 tracker launched by the Indian government in English language and 10 Indian languages.
What is the Aim of Aarogya Setu App?
The aim of the Aarogya Setu App is to help citizens identify know their risk of getting coronavirus Covid-19 and keep them informed if they have someone tested covid positive near them or if they have crossed paths any person tested positive for Covid-19.
How Aarogya Setu App Works?
After the user downloads the Aarogya Setu App on their mobile phone, they are required to keep their location and bluetooth on, as based on a Bluetooth and location-generated social graph the app tells shows you your interaction with the people test positive for COVID-19. The user will get an alert if any person they came in close proximity with is tested covid positive. The app also instructions you on how to self-isolate and what actions to be taken if you develop symptoms.The data is shared only with the government.
The data shared (name and number) by user through Aarogya Setu App is not disclosed publicly, it is only shared with the Government of India.
How to use Aarogya Setu App?
Follow the below steps to use Aarogya Setu App:
- Android users can download the Aarogya Setu App from Google Play Store and iOS users can download it from App Store.
- Selet a language, the app is available in 11 languages – , Hindi, English, Malayalam, Telugu, Oriya, Kannada, Tamil, Punjabi, Gujarati, Bengali and Marathi.
- Switch on Location and Bluetooth settings on your phone. Set location sharing to “Always” as the app is a bluetooth-based COVID-19 tracker with which the help of location lets you know if you have any covid positive tested person near you.
- Now you have to register, to resgister with Aarogya Setu app, click on Register and “I Agree” button.
- You now will be asked to enter your phone number. As soon as you enter the mobile number, you will receive an OTP on the number, enter the OTP and you will be able to access app.
- Take self-assessment test, read the app guidelines to determine the Covid risk.
- Choose your gender, enter you full name, age , profession as asked.
- Then, you will be aksed whether or not you are willing to volunteer in the times of need. Assuming you answer Yes, a 20-second assessment test starts.
- Now you will be asked about your foreign travel history in past 30 days. Give the correct information as with the help of ICMR database your information will be matched with the information of those who have been tested positive for COVID-19.
The app will detect other nearby smartphones in which the app is installed. It identifies the risk of infection based on some parameters and calculations. The process of completed using Artificial intelligence, Bluetooth and algorithms.
How to Use Aarogya Setu App to Find Out if You have COVID-19 symptoms ?
The below steps will help you know if you have COVID-19 symptoms. You must answer the Aarogya Setu app questions honestly.
1- Open the Aarogya Setu app.
2- Click on Self Assessment button, you will find this on the bottom of the phone screen. Enter you age and gender.
3- Now answer of you are experiencing any of the symptoms like fever, cough, difficulty in breathing.
4- You will be now be enquired about whether you are experiencing any kind of symptoms- Cough, Fever or Difficulty in Breathing.
5- You also need to answer if you have any medical history relating to Heart Disease, Diabetes, Lung Disease or Hypertension.
6- Now you will be asked about your travel history in the past 14 days. Answer it honestly.
7- Now you will be asked if you are taking care of a COVID-19 positive patient or if you are working in healthcare and examined a COVID-19 positive case without the use of protective gear.
8- After you answer all the questions asked, you will get an infection risk.
9. In case if you are tested positive for COVID-19, the app will tell you steps to self-quarantine and how to take medical help if symptoms persist.
Benefits of Using Aarogya Setu App
The app is available in 11 languages and soon it will be available in more Indian languages. Some of the benefits of the Aarogya Setu app are listed below:
1. The App works determines the risk of Covid-19 based on the locations of the user. The risk factor is analyzed based on the user’s location.
2. It keeps user informed on if they have crossed paths with Covid-19 positive people within 6-feet proximity.
3. Aarogya Setu app also includes self-assessment, Social distancing measures and do’s and don’ts for users during the pandemic.
4. The app also guides user on precautionary measures.
5. In case, a user is found at high risk of Covid-19, the app will also suggest the nearby testing centre and advice to call the toll-free number 1075 on an immediate basis.
6. The app could also be an e-pass facilitating travel for user moving from one place to another, as stated by PMO.
7. The app is build using Artificial Intelligence and other latest technologies. Equipped chatbots answers all the basic queries of user relating to Covid-19.
8. The app also includes helpline numbers for each state of the country.
What else Citizens Can do To Protect Themselves?
Apart from downloading the Aarogya Setu app, you as a citizen must follow guidelines sketched by the government. Follow recommendations of Ministry of AYUSH on tips and food for immunity. You must also follow the below listed.
- Washing your hands with soap and water or sanitizing them regularly.
- Sanitize the surfaces, include doors, windows and other surfaces at your home.
- Maintain the social distance of 1 meter, above all avoid stepping out of your home, move only if it is essential.
- Wear a mask always when moving out of your house.
- Take extra care of elderlies, children and those with medical conditions.
- Stay safe.
To contain the spread of this highly contagious virus, you must stay at home and help government. As no vaccine has been developed for it yet, so the only weapon we have is social distancing and following hygiene practices of washing hands, using sanitizer and wearing mask. Here we have discussed what Aarogya Setu App is, how you can download it, how it works and what are its benefits. Help the country contain the spread of this global pandemic, download Aarogya Setu App, its is available on Google Play and Play Store.