Can you name the topmost three positions in the US government? Of course, they are the President, Vice-President and the First Lady. Are you aware who is the currently serving member for these important political positions? What about the ex-POTUS, ex-VPOTUS, and the ex-FLOTUS? These terms may seem strange but they are simply the abbreviations of these topmost three positions. To provide you data about these leaders, we have compiled the complete list of US Presidents, Vice-Presidents and First Ladies. Before moving onto that, you can also find the job roles and election process for these three political positions. In the end, we have also mentioned some major and minor political parties of the United States.
So, without any delay, let us start our reading adventure!
What is The Role of The President of US?
- The President of the US is the topmost leader of the country. He is the head of the state, head of government and also the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces.
- The President of US has the power to accept or reject a bill passed by Congress. Overriding the bill is a little difficult as it requires two-thirds of the vote from both the houses.
- He can also sign treaties and carry out negotiations with other countries without the intervention of the Senate. Further, the US President also has executive powers. He may also grant pardons for federal crimes except impeachment.
- The US President can also make appointments for several chief positions or offices like the ambassadors, Supreme Court members, cabinet secretaries etc. The appointments made by the US President and the passage of a bill needs to be approved by the Senate in order to considered valid.
- The President may also exercise executive privileges by concealing diplomatic or military secrets from Congress and courts.
- The incumbent 46th President of the United States or POTUS is Joe Biden who assumed office on January 20, 2021.
How is the President of US-appointed?
- The President of US is elected as per the rules mentioned in the US Constitution. He is appointed through the Electoral College. The Electoral College in US is a body formed every four years comprising of presidential electors elected by the State and the District of Columbia.
- The presidential candidates must be equal in number to the total number of Senators and Representatives in Congress.
- The tenure of the US President lasts four years that is renewable once. If the President dies or is impeached, the Vice-President will then take over the position.
What is The Role of The Vice President of US?
- The Vice-Presidents of US are second in power to the Presidents of the United States. They preside over the Senate proceedings and may not be entitled to vote except in situations that demand it like breaking a tie.
- After the presidential elections has been contested, the Vice-President certifies the tally of the votes of the Electoral College. In case the US President is not able to make public appearances or cannot perform ceremonial duties, the Vice-President takes over.
- They are also responsible for meeting with national leaders or governments.
- The Vice-President of US assists the President in numerous ways by serving as an advisor, representative and governing partner. They also play a crucial role concerning matters of national security.
- The incumbent 49th Vice President of US is Kamala D. Harris. She is also referred as VPOTUS which means Vice President Of The United States.
How is the Vice President of US appointed?
The Vice President of US is also appointed through the Electoral College. The members of the Electoral College is appointed by voters from each state. The vice-presidential candidates are appointed alongside the presidential candidates. The tenure of the Vice-President of US runs for four years.
What is The Role of The First Lady of US?
- The First Lady of the United States is the hostess of the White House and the wife of the current President of the United States. She continues to hold the title of the “First Lady” as long as the President remains in power.
- The title was first introduced when George Washington was the US President and Martha Washington was his wife.
- The importance of the position slowly evolved with time. The role of the First Lady encompasses involvement in political campaigns, managing White House, supporting and uplifting social causes and representing the President at ceremonial occasions.
- Some of the First Ladies are even public speakers.
How is the First Lady of the US appointed?
- The First Lady of the US is not appointed or elected. She assumes the position when the President of the country takes the presidential oath. In case, the US President is a bachelor or is widowed, the position of the First Lady is transferred to one of his relatives.
- No one can say for sure what will the spouse of an elected female President be referred as.
- The incumbent First Lady of US is Jill Biden. She is referred to as FLOTUS or “First Lady Of The United States”.
Chronological List of Presidents, First Ladies and Vice-Presidents of US
|YEAR||PRESIDENT||FIRST LADY||VICE PRESIDENT|
|1789-1797||George Washington||Martha Washington||John Adams|
|1797-1801||John Adams||Abigail Adams||Thomas Jefferson|
|1801-1805||Thomas Jefferson||[Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson
died before Jefferson assumed office;
no image of her in P&P collections]
|1805-1809||Thomas Jefferson||see above||George Clinton|
|1809-1812||James Madison||Dolley Madison||George Clinton|
|1812-1813||James Madison||Dolley Madison||office vacant|
|1813-1814||James Madison||Dolley Madison||Elbridge Gerry|
|1814-1817||James Madison||Dolley Madison||office vacant|
|1817-1825||James Monroe||Elizabeth Kortright Monroe
|Daniel D. Tompkins|
|1825-1829||John Quincy Adams||Louisa Catherine Adams||John C. Calhoun|
|1829-1832||Andrew Jackson||Rachel Jackson [Rachel Donelson Jackson died before Jackson assumed office and did not serve as first lady]||John C. Calhoun|
|1833-1837||Andrew Jackson||Rachel Jackson [Rachel Donelson Jackson died before Jackson assumed office and did not serve as first lady]||Martin Van Buren|
|1837-1841||Martin Van Buren||Hannah Hoes Van Buren||Richard M. Johnson|
|1841||William Henry Harrison||Anna Tuthill Symmes Harrison||John Tyler|
|1841-1845||John Tyler||Letitia Christian Tyler and
Julia Gardiner Tyler (no images)
|1845-1849||James K. Polk||Sarah Childress Polk||George M. Dallas|
|1849-1850||Zachary Taylor||Margaret Mackall Smith Taylor
|1850-1853||Millard Fillmore||Abigail Powers Fillmore||office vacant|
|1853||Franklin Pierce||Jane M. Pierce||William R. King|
|1853-1857||Franklin Pierce||Jane M. Pierce||office vacant|
|1857-1861||James Buchanan||(Never married)||John C. Breckinridge|
|1861-1865||Abraham Lincoln||Mary Todd Lincoln||Hannibal Hamlin|
|1865||Abraham Lincoln||Mary Todd Lincoln||Andrew Johnson|
|1865-1869||Andrew Johnson||Eliza McCardle Johnson||office vacant|
|1869-1873||Ulysses S. Grant||Julia Dent Grant||Schuyler Colfax|
|1873-1875||Ulysses S. Grant||Julia Dent Grant||Henry Wilson|
|1875-1877||Ulysses S. Grant||Julia Dent Grant||office vacant|
|1877-1881||Rutherford Birchard Hayes||Lucy Webb Hayes||William A. Wheeler|
|1881||James A. Garfield||Lucretia Rudolph Garfield||Chester A. Arthur|
|1881-1885||Chester A. Arthur||Ellen Lewis Herndon Arthur||office vacant|
|1885||Grover Cleveland||Frances Folsom Cleveland||Thomas A. Hendricks|
|1885-1889||Grover Cleveland||Frances Folsom Cleveland||office vacant|
|1889-1893||Benjamin Harrison||Caroline Lavinia Scott Harrison
Mary Lord Harrison
[Harrison’s second wife,
but never a first lady]
|Levi P. Morton|
|1893-1897||Grover Cleveland||Frances Folsom Cleveland||Adlai E. Stevenson|
|1897-1899||William McKinley||Ida Saxton McKinley||Garret A. Hobart|
|1899-1901||William McKinley||Ida Saxton McKinley||office vacant|
|1901||William McKinley||Ida Saxton McKinley||Theodore Roosevelt|
|1901-1905||Theodore Roosevelt||Edith Kermit Carow Roosevelt||office vacant|
|1905-1909||Theodore Roosevelt||Edith Kermit Carow Roosevelt||Charles W. Fairbanks|
|1909-1912||William H. Taft||Helen Herron Taft||James S. Sherman|
|1912-1913||William H. Taft||Helen Herron Taft||office vacant|
|1913-1921||Woodrow Wilson||Ellen Axson Wilson and
Edith Bolling Galt Wilson
|Thomas R. Marshall|
|1921-1923||Warren G. Harding||Florence Kling Harding||Calvin Coolidge|
|1923-1925||Calvin Coolidge||Grace Goodhue Coolidge||office vacant|
|1925-1929||Calvin Coolidge||Grace Goodhue Coolidge||Charles G. Dawes|
|1929-1933||Herbert Hoover||Lou Henry Hoover||Charles Curtis|
|1933-1941||Franklin D. Roosevelt||Eleanor Roosevelt||John N. Garner|
|1941-1945||Franklin D. Roosevelt||Eleanor Roosevelt||Henry A. Wallace|
|1945||Franklin D. Roosevelt||Eleanor Roosevelt||Harry S. Truman|
|1945-1949||Harry S. Truman||Bess Wallace Truman||office vacant|
|1949-1953||Harry S. Truman||Bess Wallace Truman||Barkley, Alben W.|
|1953-1961||Dwight D. Eisenhower||Mamie Doud Eisenhower||Richard M. Nixon|
|1961-1963||John F. Kennedy||Jacqueline Kennedy||Lyndon B. Johnson|
|1963-1965||Lyndon B. Johnson||Lady Bird Johnson||office vacant|
|1965-1969||Lyndon B. Johnson||Lady Bird Johnson||Hubert H. Humphrey|
|1969-1973||Richard M. Nixon||Pat Nixon||Spiro T. Agnew|
|1973-1974||Richard M. Nixon||Pat Nixon||Gerald R. Ford|
|1974-1977||Gerald R. Ford||Betty Ford||Nelson Rockefeller|
|1977-1981||Jimmy Carter||Rosalynn Carter||Walter F. Mondale|
|1981-1989||Ronald Reagan||Nancy Reagan||George Bush|
|1989-1993||George Bush||Barbara Bush||Dan Quayle|
|1993-2001||Bill Clinton||Hillary Rodham Clinton||Albert Gore|
|2001-2009||George W. Bush||Laura Bush||Richard Cheney|
|2009-2017||Barack Obama||Michelle Obama||Joseph R. Biden|
|2017-2021||Donald J. Trump||Melania Trump||Mike Pence|
|2021-||Joseph R. Biden||Jill Biden||Kamala Harris|
List of Major Political Parties in the US
Democratic party is one of the oldest parties of United States. If we look at the history, the Democratic party was in favour of slavery and opposed civil rights reforms. Eventually the Democratic party championed organized labour and civil rights reforms for minorities. It also opposed intervention by the government in non-economic affairs of the citizens. However, the party supported government intervention in US economy. It is in favour of a federal government structure to federally support the needs of the poor. The Democratic Party of US was a faction of the Republic Party whose leader was Thomas Jefferson (1790s). Currently, the Democratic party is in power through the appointed US President and Vice President. The chairperson of the Democratic party is Jaime Harrison.
The Republican Party, also known as the Grand Old Party (GOP) is a major political rival to the Democratic Party. It was formed in 1854 by activists who opposed slavery and championed reforms for civil rights. The first Republican to win the presidential elections was Abraham Lincoln. The governing organization of the party is Republican National Committee which is focused on fundraising and election strategy. The modern-day party seeks no governmental intervention in capitalism and supports low taxes, lowering borrowing rates, deregulating industries and social conservatism.
The incumbent chairperson of the Republican Party is Ronna McDaniel.
List of Minor Political Parties in the US
The Libertarian party calls themselves “The Party of Principle” as they stand firm to their principles of liberty, equal rights and peace. The party believes that the government should not intervene in personal lives and business decisions.
Green Party is a minor political party in the US that supports social causes like equality, egalitarianism, environmentalism, non-violence, participatory and grassroots democracy etc. The Green Party also opposes racism, capitalism and war. It was founded in 2001 and is co-chaired by several members like Ahmed Eltouny, Christopher Stella, Rei Stone-Grover, Garret Wasserman etc. The governing body of the Green party is Green National Committee.
The Constitution party is a minor political party in the US that was formed by Conservative activist Howard Phillips. The party was initially called U.S. Taxpayers’ Party in response to the violation of George H.W. Bush’s pledge- read my lips: no new taxes”. The party supports religious conservative view of the US Constitution. It also championships the formation of important environmental, social, fiscal policies in the country. The incumbent chairman of the Constitution party is Jim Clymer.
The Alliance Party is a minor political party that was founded on October 14, 2018. The current chairperson of the Alliance Party is Jonathan Etheridge. In 2020, the nominees for President and Vice-president were Rocky De La Fuente and Darcy Richardson respectively. The Alliance Party is affiliated to four political parties like American Party of South Carolina, Independence Party of Connecticut, Independence Party of Minnesota and Reform Party of Florida.
The List of US Presidents, Vice-presidents and the First Ladies of US is a simple compilation of facts and figures on the leaders and associate-leaders of the country. However, we must not ignore the fact that these serving members had one intention in mind- to work for the holistic development of the United States. US produced incredible Presidents like Franklin D. Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt, Thomas Jefferson etc. Similarly, Vice-Presidents like Lyndon Johnson, Walter Mondale, Theodor Roosevelt were among the best ones. First Ladies like Martha Washington, Dolley Madison, Abigail Filmore not only represented the President in official or ceremonial occasions but also made their own valuable contributions to society.
Can you name any other POTUS, VPOTUS and FLOTUS who impacted the lives of its American citizens? Who is your favourite leader among the incumbent President, Vice-President and First Lady of the US and why? Share with us in the comment section below.