First of all, we need to discuss the basics of this topic.
What is the Right to Education?
In simple terms, the right to education has been recognized as a human right, which recognizes the free availability of primary and secondary education as well as equitable access to higher education. In today’s world, more than 50 million children are obstructed from getting access to education.
Education is the topmost priority in children’s life. It is a basic need which we will require in our entire journey throughout our life. Education provides us access to almost every field
In such a situation wherein our present-day lives, everyone recognizes the need for education, why do we require the right to education? This is because of the interim reality of our world. The stats, further, are shocking enough to give us the proof that we still lack in this education sector.
We all have a view regarding the backward areas of our world. Just a view of the upcoming generations who would face it and the injustice of education meted out to them.
International Legal Basis
- Regarding its international sphere, we will find the right to education encoded in article 26 of the universal declaration of human rights
- Also mentioned in articles 13 and 14 of the international covenant on economic, social and cultural rights.
- It was also noted during the 1960 UNESCO convention against Discrimination in education
- It’s such a wide range at the international level makes it even better
How Does it Work?
The fulfillment and the enactment of this act can be accessed using the 4 As.
This 4 As framework also provides the basis on which the prime duty bearers, have to respect and fulfill the Right to Education.
The 4 As are further elaborated as follows :
- It is of the view to ensure the funds given by the government thereby proving that education is universal, it is free and also it is compulsory for all.
- The infrastructure should be proper and the facilities as well as proper books and materials for students.
- Access to safety and sanitation levels, such as clean drinking water.
- Qualified staff for the students.
- This implies to have proper access to all the parts of education.
- Equal access for all students regarding the point of gender, race, religion, ethnicity or socioeconomic status.
- Efforts made for the marginalized sector students, children of refugees, homeless or disabilities.
- Method of teaching to be unbiased.
- Students should not be confronted with any specific religious or ideological views.
- Health and safety should be emphasized.
- Corporal punishment should be eliminated.
- The flexibility of educational programs to be able to adjust to society and the needs of the community.
- Observance of holidays in cultural spheres should be respected by schools.
- Adequate care for disabled students.
This act comes to action when mind startling facts such as “over 50 million not having access to education” are prevalent. The African countries are much backward in this spheres and they need immediate attention. Every community should realize that education is a very prime factor in every child’s life and so that it can decrease the rate of uneducated children’s.