Current Affairs That You Must Know
- A new bacteria has been discovered on the filters of the International Space Station (ISS). It has been named as “Solibacillus kalamii” by the National Aeronautics & Space Administration (NASA), honouring the late Indian President Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam.
- Hassan Rouhani has won Iran’s 2017 Presidential Elections. He has been re-elected as country’s President. He was elected as Iran’s president for the first time in the year 2013.
- Madhya Pradesh State Government has taken strong actions against Narmada river sand excavation, by putting up an infinite ban on the sand excavation.
- African Development Bank’s (AfDB) 52nd Annual General Meeting held in Gandhinagar, Gujarat from May 22-26, 2017.
- India has won 10 Gold Medals in the South Asian Junior Table Tennis championship held in Mount Lavinia, near Colombia in Sri Lanka. India won a total of 14 medals at the tournament.
- Free Wi-Fi facility have been inaugurated by Suresh Prabhu, Minister of Indian Railways, at 28 Railway Stations of Konkan Railway. Indian Railways has collaborated with SYSCON/JOISTER to provide 2 Mbps peer-to-peer 24 hrs Free Wi-Fi bandwidth at Konkan Railway’s 28 railway stations.
- Indian Men’s compound archery team, represented by Chinna Raju Srither, Abhishek Verma, and Amanjeet Singh, has won the gold medal in the Archery World Cup Stage 1 championships held in Shanghai, China.
- Indian Air Marshal P.N. Pradhan has been appointed as the Deputy Chief of Integrated Defence Staff (Operations).
- A two-part book series “M.S. Swaminathan: The Quest for a world without hunger” by the eminent agricultural scientist Dr. M.S. Swaminathan, has been released by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Indian scientist Shrinivas Kulkarni has won 2017 Dan David prize as a recognition for contributions made by him in the field of astronomy.
- A device called “Nasofilters” have been developed by scientists at the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IIT-Delhi), which can restrict up to 95% of dust and air pollutants. It is also the cheapest naso filter available so far.
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) has signed agreements with digital payments firm MobiKwik and social network firm Facebook to create a BSNL mobile wallet and to popularize internet, respectively. BSNL has also signed MoU with Disney Land India to offer finest online gaming experience to its mobile customers.
- In the latest ICC Test rankings, India has been ranked at top with 123 points, followed by South Africa at second place.
- Anshu Jamsenpa, a native of Bomdila, Arunachal Pradesh, has become the first Indian woman to scale Mount Everest for the fourth time.
- Purnima Barman of Assam and Sanjay Gubbi of Karnataka have won the prestigious Whitley Award, popularly known as Green Oscars, for their contributions in wildlife conservation.
- Indian Union Environment Minister Anil Madhav Dave has passed away at an age of 60 years. He was a Member of Parliament representing Madhya Pradesh. He was first elected to Rajya Sabha in the year 2009.